Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 10 Creators Edition now can't register Act

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Windows 10 Creators Edition now can't register Act

[ Edited ]

I updated to Windows 10 Creator Edition and now Act won't load without me asking to input my location for the phone settings.

It then asks me to register the software which I have already done prior to the upgrade. Now when I have put in my serial number Act comes up with "We are unable to register Act. You can continue using trial version for 30 days blah blah"

This error happened on a in-place upgrade of Windows 10 then same error after doing a reformat,  Must be an issue with Act not recognising Windows 10 Creators Edition...

Stopping and Starting SQL Server in services has no effect, I'm still not able to re-register Act.

Any help please?

EDIT: Just had a thought - is it possible that I could have tried to activate my serial number too many times hence it won't activate? How would I go about checking this?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sitt1965
‎04-25-2017 11:39 PM
Copper Contributor

Re: Windows 10 Creators Edition now can't register Act

Issue resolved. 

When I installed Windows 10 Creator edition it looks like the install reset my Act activation and when I tried to re-activate I had achieved my maximum number of activation's on my license hense it wouldn't allow me to re-activate. An email to my supplier had this sorted fairly sharpish once it was confirmed my max activation's had been reached.

Although that leaves me with one more question - what happens if I have to reformat my machine again? Is there an easy way to deactivate Act prior to reformat so that I can use my license or do I need to get in touch with my supplier everytime?

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hi There,

Would you be able to provide the version of Act! you are trying to register, as I am unaware of any issue with W10 Creator Edition i have included some articles which maybe helpful.

38495 Error: “We are unable to register Act!. You can continue using Act! as a trial version for 30 ...

13727 Cannot register to activate the Act! software

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Act! Pro Version 19.1.63.0, Update 2

I worked my way through the KB articles posted and everything appears as it should as far as I can see.

Keep in mind that this is a fresh install of Windows 10 Creators Edition with Act installed straight after my Office 2016 install so I doubt that I have a corrupt registry or similar...

Solution
Accepted by topic author Sitt1965
‎04-25-2017 11:39 PM
Copper Contributor

Issue resolved. 

When I installed Windows 10 Creator edition it looks like the install reset my Act activation and when I tried to re-activate I had achieved my maximum number of activation's on my license hense it wouldn't allow me to re-activate. An email to my supplier had this sorted fairly sharpish once it was confirmed my max activation's had been reached.

Although that leaves me with one more question - what happens if I have to reformat my machine again? Is there an easy way to deactivate Act prior to reformat so that I can use my license or do I need to get in touch with my supplier everytime?

Re: Windows 10 Creators Edition now can't register Act *This is NOT "Solved"*

This is marked as "Solved", but I see no solution here.  I am having the identical issue and am now locked out of Act.  I am guessing (due to multiple machine changes and this required re-registration after many Windows updates) I have exceeded the allowed number of re-registrations.  How do I correct this?  There is a link to one of the articles linked for Sage support, but it says I have to have a current support agreement, which I do not.  

This "max number of re-registrations" thing is new to me.  When I bought the product, I believe I had the right to assume I owned a functional piece of software going forward and not something that had a built in timebomb that would disable it in the future.  I'm not looking for "tech support", I'm looking for a fix for this intentional disabling of a product I paid for.  

Thanks so much for any help -

Mike

Administrator

Hi Mike,

I'll contact you via PM to help you get this resolved.

Hello Gary, 

Could you please contact me as well?  I am having the same issue.  When I call customer support I am told I can not be helped.

Thank you!

Ellen

Ellen-  Hopefully you will hear from Gary.  He was very prompt and helpful to me. 

Best -

Mike

Administrator

Hi Ellen,

I've sent you a PM.

This problem has continued on again/off again.  It appears to be random, but I don't have any way of knowing if the Windows 10 updates I have no control over are the cause.  It's the only thing I can think of that is "changing".  No other hardware/software adds/deletes, etc.  

Over the past couple of months, I've been able to login by some combination of restarts and continuing to open/close Act.  Yesterday morning, I was unable to log in.  24 hours and multiple reboots and attempted Act starts later, I continue to be blocked.  

End of tech issue/Beginning of Rant:

I've been an Act user since it was a DOS program.  During that time, I've been a huge booster and have been responsible for multiple other salespeople buying the product.  I'm close to done with this.  The deal when I bought the product was that I owned it.  There was nothing about a hidden disabler that would prevent me from using a perfectly serviceable product later.  This isn't about the product breaking and not having rights to service, it is about it being built to become unserviceable.  Unacceptable.  If anyone comes across this that has a suggestion on an alternate CRM for someone that's been otherwise highly satisfied with Act, please drop me a note.