Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 10 Creator reset DEP

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Windows 10 Creator reset DEP

I'm writing this out because I can't find anything similar in forum.

I bought a new Win 10 PC last Nov and upgraded to Act Pro ver 18. I couldn't get Act to function, so Tech support said to disable DEP under Advanced System > Performance Settings > Data Execution Prevention. However, when the radio button was set to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only” radio button, Act would not function.

My only solution was to deactivate DEP at startup, which is very disappointing because that exposes my PC to security issues. I found instructions here: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-xp/disable-turn-off-dep-windows/. I ran CMD as Admin, entered "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff" without quotes, then restarted. Act worked fine until this week.

After updating to Win 10 Creators edition (1703) this week, I got the following error msg: "The database [Database name] could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software..." I found this posting to review solutions: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640/ When I got down to the DEP suggestion, I remembered my original issue described above.

As a PSA, the Win 10 Creator update reset my DEP instructions to protect Windows programs per above.

I re-ran steps in second paragraph, and Act seems back to normal.

Does Act have a patch for this DEP issue? My version is 18.2.53.0, Update 4.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by JonTaylor (Administrator)
3 weeks ago
Copper Contributor

Re: Windows 10 Creator reset DEP

I couldn't open Act when “Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only” was selected regardless of Win 10 version. I mostly wrote this because I couldn't find any other post on DEP issues. I disabled DEP, Act worked fine, Creator edition turned it back on, so I had to disable again. Apparently the Creator installation is a Windows refresh, many other settings were reset too.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi akinsm,

Just to confirm, selecting “Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only” causes the error "The database [Database name] could not be accessed" to occur after the Windows 10 update?

If you have up-to-date antivirus and firewall software installed, there is no real reason to worry about having DEP disabled.
Solution
Accepted by JonTaylor (Administrator)
3 weeks ago
Copper Contributor

I couldn't open Act when “Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only” was selected regardless of Win 10 version. I mostly wrote this because I couldn't find any other post on DEP issues. I disabled DEP, Act worked fine, Creator edition turned it back on, so I had to disable again. Apparently the Creator installation is a Windows refresh, many other settings were reset too.

Administrator

Thanks for reporting this. I'm sure this info will come in useful for someone else.
Copper Contributor

It happened again! The Win10 Fall Creators update v1709 reset my DEP instructions. Consequently, I received MFC application error which closed my ACT email. I was able to open ACT but not utilize built-in email. I reran CMD instructions to disable DEP permanently, now back to normal operations.

Administrator

Thanks for the update akinsm - it's very rare that we see DEP errors nowadays, but its good to know that it can be worked around.