Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Will adding documents as a PDF to ACT slow it down?

Accepted Solution Solved
Skilled Commentator
Accepted Solution

Will adding documents as a PDF to ACT slow it down?

Hi Mike/GL Computing or anyone else who can help,

I want to quickly and easily add pages as a PDF to a contact and am planning on using  Doc Admin.

I want to sync the documents to my remote database so I need to add them as a file, not a short cut.  Obviously with 100's of PDF's the sync will be slow which is fine.  However will this slow the database down in general? As the calender already runs slow due to 50+ activities a day.

Also is there a simple way (aside from doing it on the paper before scanning) to have a black mark or something accross the customer cr card details?  Staff need to see these details to process the card, but once on ACT they don't need to. And it's obviously not a smart idea for staff to have access to 100's of card details over years.  However they need to be able to pull up the contract when needed, minus cr card detials.  Is there an easy way to edit the pdf from the contact and place a black line over card details or something? I couldnt find one?

Any quick and easy solutions?  

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author scott hunt
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Will adding documents as a PDF to ACT slow it down?

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

If you sync frequently should be no problem. Note that sync is initiated from the remote database so you would setup the scheduler service on the remote to run perhaps every hour or so. Then you don't build up to many documents that need synchronising to the main database. 

I would advise obliterating the credit card details with a marking pen prior to scanning, then you know they are secure. Remember that the attachments folder in ACT! isn't secured and also if you delete a record the attachments remain in the folder. So wise to not store card details.   

The ACT! calender needs careful handling if you are getting a lot of activities scheduled. Best to clear activities when completed and remove old, cleared activities through database maintenance in ACT!.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Having over 10,000 attachments (file or shortcut) does start to slowdown parts of ACT!
Skilled Commentator

Thanks Mike, yes I realise 10,000 will.  What about 1,000 PDF's uploaded over the next couple of years? Specifically will this make switching from day to day on the calendar dramatically slower? I'm not worried if opening the document is slow, I'm just worried about the calender which we use 90% of the time.

Skilled Commentator

Thanks Grame, yes I realise that about the syncing and that doesn't worry me, I already have it sync every hour. Yes I think a black line over card details will be safest and easiest.  The speed issue I'm concerned about is the calendar.  Will switching from day to day etc (while customers wait) run slower as a result of a 1,000 PDF being uploaded over the next couple of years?

Solution
Accepted by topic author scott hunt
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Bronze Elite Contributor

I wouldn't think that the number of attached documents and the calendar responsiveness, assuming documents are not attached to activities, is related. What quantity of activities are you entering each day?  

Graeme Leo

Skilled Commentator

Thanks Grame and Mike what you both said was what I was after, I'll definetely be using this. As our calendar is already slow I was concerned it would get even slower.

Graeme, we have 50+ activities a day and use calendar view plus to sort them.  It often runs quite slow and I have done all the usual things to fix it based on the great advice of this forum.  It's all helped a little but not a lot. Hopefully you have another solution?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Can you advise why you have so many activities per day? Could some form of custom table work better than scheduling so many activities? How many active users in the database?

Graeme Leo