Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Will ACT's email integration problems with Outlook ever be fixed?

Copper Contributor

Will ACT's email integration problems with Outlook ever be fixed?

I - and I know countless others - have submitted this issue in one form or another. My problems go back to the Spring; I know there are others whose problems go back even further.

I'd simply like to know - yes or no - if Swiftpage realistically sees a solution to the myriad problems we're all having trying to accomplish something so fundamental and core to a CRM system that it's flabbergasting that it still doesn't work:  e-mail integration. Sending, recording of history, recording Last e-mail sent, attaching e-mail to contacts.

Because these problems have been going on for so long, I get the sense that Swiftpage either hasn't made fixing this a number 1 priority, or simply isn't capable of fixing it.  I did the recent upgrade, I've logged in as an admin in both ACT and Outlook, and still I cannot send a templated e-mail.  And while ACT is no longer crashing, it still isn't sending e-mail.  For example, this morning I tried to Write e-mail message from Template.  I get the Merging Contact pop-up window, which hangs for about a minute or so, then closes - with nothing having been done: no e-mail sent and, of course, no history recorded.  I get the same result when using Mail Merge.  And just now, I tried to simply send an e-mail without a template - by clicking the e-mail icon - and the program froze up!

And don't even get me started on the inability to attach e-mails to contacts. I gave up long ago on Swiftpage doing anything to rectify that.

None of us should have to be spending the amount of time we are trying to get this to work, or doing time-inefficient workarounds (I'm now using mail merge in MS Word to get my biweekly e-mail blasts out), or composing e-mails such as this.  CRM is supposed to increase efficiency and productivity, and frankly - while other ACT features remain helpful, its lack of workable integration with Outlook is seriously reducing my own.  I can't afford to do this much longer.  Swiftpage''s inability to fix this issue has made it necessary for me - and I'm sure many others - to begin evaluating alternative products that come close to what ACT offers, but that provide a working Outlook interface. It's shame, because I've always liked ACT and preferred it over other more popular CRM systems I've used - but the product simply fails to deliver in this core, critical aspect.

Craig

ACT Pro
Version of Act! 19.0
Office 365
Database is on my local machine (private database)
Operating system is Windows 10

Re: Will ACT's email integration problems with Outlook ever be fixed?

Hi CraigJ,

While I am unable to speak on behalf of the developers and provide a Yes or No answer, I do know that we have made the Outlook issues a high priority for ourselves and have extra resources working to find a solution to them.

I understand the frustration that these issues cause and in our latest builds have resolved some issues. however there are still some outstanding issues that are under investigation and have workarounds for a few., while I know a workaround is not the best solution they may allow it to be manageable for the time being.

As it has not been mentioned in your build information I would like to know which build of Outlook you are presently using? you can find this from 'File > Office Account > About Outlook'  We have seen much better results with the Deferred channel build '7766' and I have provided an article which goes into more detail about the Update channels.

KB 38802 - Recommended Microsoft Office update channel settings when using Act! with Office 2016 or ...

Copper Contributor

Build is 16.0.8326.2073.

The KB and MS's own site provide instructions to change channels for Office 356 "ProPlus". I don't know what ProPlus is but I don't think that''s what I have. I think I have a Home version (they charge me $69.99 annually).

Will implementing your suggestion make a difference in my environment?

Bronze Elite Contributor

In my opinion the Honest answer to your question is NO. Not while ACT use MAPI to connect with Outlook.

They may make changes and updates as Office 2016 / 365 changes but the only way to resolve the situation is a non MAPI interface with Outlook.

I would welcome a Roadmap statement to bring back some confidence on ACT's development path regarding the ACT - Outlook interface so I can advise customers on the way forward.

Bronze Super Contributor

We use Act4Outlook from Keystroke.ca with no problems see https://www.keystroke.ca/act4-products/act4outlook 

I'd be interested to know what other users are using as an effective solution.

BTW - no affiliation, just a satisfied user.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Bronze Elite Contributor

Thanks David and I can endorse that this works. It also does not use MAPI !!!!!!

Copper Contributor

Well, I do have a POP account in Outlook as well, but I don't see anywhere in the ACT e-mail system setup wizard where to specify which account to use.  Or does it just use whatever's been setup as the default account?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Yes, it links with the default account.

Employee

Hi,

To configure Pop3 Internet Mail as your e-mail client in ACT!, use the following steps:
22985 How To Configure an Internet Mail Account as Your E-mail Client in Act!

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

If I set it up as the KB suggests (interesting that it offers a choice between Outlook Express and Internet EMail), using Internet E-mail, how will that affect the integration with Outlook? In other words, if I don't select Outlook, where will I see the sent messages. And how will I attach e-mails that are sitting in Outlook?