Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Will ACT 2010 work on Windows 8 w/ 2008 SQL Server?

Copper Contributor

Will ACT 2010 work on Windows 8 w/ 2008 SQL Server?

We have 2 Windows 7 computers running ACT 2010 with the 2008 SQL server.

One computer has just died, and I can replace it if I have to with a Windows 7 machine if I have to.

However, I'm thiking that going forward, I'd be better off with a Windows 8 machine.

The only thing I've found about using ACT 2010 on Windows 8 said the following:

"ACT! Versions that work with Windows 8 with minor Issues:

Both of these versions of ACT! work fine, but you are shown an error message during installation. “This program has compatibility issues (Microsoft SQL Server 2005)”. When running ACT! and upgrading a database we noted the message:  “Exceptions occurred while executing the database Schema Update Script”. Database seemed to successfully update.

• ACT! 2009
  • ACT! 2010"

http://twelvethree.com/act-compatibility-with-windows-8/

Does anyone else have experience with running ACT 2010 on Windows 8?  We need to use the 2008 SQL server, or we won't be able to open databases.

I have no reason to upgrade beyond ACT 2010, which does everything we need (ACT 6 did everything we needed, and we upgraded only because ACT 6 wouldn't work on Windows 7).

Thanks ...

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Will ACT 2010 work on Windows 8 w/ 2008 SQL Server?

You also need to consider the version of Office the new machine will have. ACT! 2010 won't work with office 2010 or later.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Re: Will ACT 2010 work on Windows 8 w/ 2008 SQL Server?

Thanks.  We're running Office 2003 still, and that does what we need.  We use converters if someone sends us a new file.