Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why "save as"...unique database name when restoring a database to a different computer

Why "save as"...unique database name when restoring a database to a different computer

I've just upgraded from Act 6 to 12.  I'm used to working on my database at work, backing up to a usb device, taking it home, and restoring the database to the home computer, and visa versa.  Act 2010 won't let me restore the backup copy with Restore and then Save because it says that you must use "save as" when you restore to a different computer than the database was created....fine.  When I "save as" it says "A database with that name already exists. Type a unique name for the database."  Why?  After going from home to work and visa versa 6 times, I would have 6 copies of the database with different names on it on each computer.  What am I missing?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Why "save as"...unique database name when restoring a database to a different computer

A backup can only be restored to the system where it was originally located, otherwise it must be restored as with a different name. That is mainly because the database isn't simply located on the hard drive, it's connected to the SQL server and the SQL server is demanding the unique name. You need to look into setting up synchronization between the two computers.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Why "save as"...unique database name when restoring a database to a different computer

Thanks for the info.  Would I hurt anything in the meantime by creating a new database name each time I move from home to office and visa versa?  Secondly, is it possible to set up a syncro scenario between two computers that are not on the same network?...where would I look for some guidance on this process?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Other than cluttering your hard drive and causing some slowness in the computer boot process while all of the databases are opened, no. I would suggest deleting all but the most recent version of thed database. 

As to synchronization, there is a third party product called Hamachi that can be used to setup a virtual network through the WEB. Here is a link to the knowledgebase document on setting it up.

http://tinyurl.com/5cbkr2 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129