Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why isn't there a client only installation? its so slow to start

Why isn't there a client only installation? its so slow to start

Just installed Act 2009 on the server and 2 clients and I have a few questions

1. Why do I need to install SQL on every single machine, its only used on the server? Why can't there be a client only installation

2. Why does SQL then need to create 2 instances?

3. I understand I can uninstall SQL if I don't need it, but you then have to wait 23 seconds for the program to get past the splash screen. Its not actually doing anything and its takes the same time to the second on both clients. I believe Act is waiting for a response from the local database and it timesout after 20 seconds, so I need to have SQL installed on the clients so that I can start the program in a reasonable amount of time. So I now need to have 2 instances installed, so thats 500Mb of space and 2 processes using 200Mb of RAM (on the 2 server instances with no one logged in) just so the software can start in 10 seconds rather than 30.

4. Why do I need to register all 6 clients? There must be a way you can register the server and then the clients are automatically registered. Am I now limited to only being able to register the software 6 times as I have 6 licences, what happens if I need to reinstall the software or wipe the machine?

I'm really hoping the software isn't slow in use, I've read too many horror stories on here.

Re: Why isn't there a client only installation? its so slow to start

1.  SQL is required if you're playing to run RDBs, ACT! Diagnostics tool, or internet email.  You can disable the SQL service if you're not going to use either of the mentioned.

2.  The ACT! installation only creates one SQL instance - ACT7

4.  No, you'll need to register on all machines that you install ACT on.

Re: Why isn't there a client only installation? its so slow to start

dlunceford wrote:

1.  SQL is required if you're playing to run RDBs, ACT! Diagnostics tool, or internet email.  You can disable the SQL service if you're not going to use either of the mentioned.

If you disable the SQL database on the local computer Act will take 23 seconds to get past the splash screens as it waits for a response from the local database and times out.