Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why is there no 'field data type" for Groups/Companies for "E-mail"?

Nickel Contributor

Why is there no 'field data type" for Groups/Companies for "E-mail"?

I don't understand the logic, but then again,  I don't know much.

-P

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Why is there no 'field data type" for Groups/Companies for "E-mail"?

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Mike,

I still don't get it.  If I wanted a company layout with an e-mail address field data type for informational purposes pertaining to that company,  why not?

Let's say that I have a company that has two owners.  Each has their own e-mail,  but they also have a company e-mail say, a secretary uses, to retrieve info for both owners etc.. This e-mail address is the official company e-mail address. If I added the owners as "contacts" to that company,  then I could see the owners' e-mails via the contact tab, but then I could see the official company e-mail in the COMPANY layout.

Suppose I had a subgroup or "division", say, "research and development" and suppose they have an official e-mail address FOR THEIR DEPARTMENT.  If I added a contact "Joe Smith" and Joe Smith belongs to "Research and Development",  he has his own e-mail address right?  Then what about the official e-mail address for the division?  I thought company info goes to company layouts.

The logic follows for groups also.  I thought that's what companies and groups were for.

I still don't get it.

Does anyone realize I had these issues with Sage ever since I opened "the box" and saw these problems with this software.  Something so simple.  Sage,  I have 100 of these "simple, but "oh, my Goodness how did I overlook this?" solution. 

What do I know?  That's why I buy your software a year old and from a reseller online for $30.00.  Until you get it right, I ain't buyin'.

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-26-2008 08:47 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-26-2008 08:50 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-26-2008 08:56 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-26-2008 08:59 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-26-2008 11:03 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-26-2008 11:06 PM

patgenn123 wrote:

Thanks Mike,

I still don't get it.  If I wanted a company layout with an e-mail address field data type for informational purposes pertaining to that company,  why not?

Then create a character field and call it email.

Let's say that I have a company that has two owners.  Each has their own e-mail,  but they also have a company e-mail say, a secretary uses, to retrieve info for both owners etc.. This e-mail address is the official company e-mail address. If I added the owners as "contacts" to that company,  then I could see the owners' e-mails via the contact tab, but then I could see the official company e-mail in the COMPANY layout.

You could put the secretary as a contact in the database, which would be more correct

This is simply the way a contact manager is supposed to work

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am trying to figure this out.

In this forum, someone gloriously proclaimed that e-mail is the method of communication nowadays.

OK.  If that's the case,  then putting e-mail in a character field doesn't give it the "hyperlink" quality so I could send an e-mail.  The blue hyperlink to click on to open Outlook is not there.

Also, maybe the "secretary" idea was the wrong one.  Let me further define my thought.  When I worked as a banker,  I got a list of departments with no contact names rather departments like "appraisal review".  When I received this appraisal, I sent it to that e-mail address.  That e-mail address was always to an appraisal department and NOT to an individual.  This was for a good reason so an individual appraisal reviewer would NOT be influenced by anyone. That appraisal went to an appraisal review center.  I never knew who was going to take a look at it and review it.

To counter,  YOU DO E-MAIL COMPANIES and GROUPS!

This is what I mean by cheap.  Let me guess.  It's own database logic calls for it, but it doesn't have it. Who are these people that work for ACT!?  I get the feeling they don't even use the database they trumpet so much. 

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-27-2008 02:03 PM

You asked about an email addredd field for informational purposes... which would be fine as a character field.

Email is a person-to-person comunications. Therefore, it should not be possible to put the email in a company record in any proper contact manager. I don't know any similar system that does allow emailing on companies except accounting products, where it's assumed you put in the other business accounts person.

If you need to send an email, create a contact with no contact name... add the contact name when you know who the address belongs to.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

What if I didn't want it for informational purposes, but to actually do some work and e-mail the divisions?

So now you're telling me to create a "dummy" contact with no name to link to companies?  Does that make sense?  If I had 5 different areas like "title, appraisal review, survey etc." and they all have general e-mail addresses, does that mean all of the companies e-mails will be linked with blank contacts? 

Not only is the lending industry getting tougher, but ACT! wants to make it harder for me to find my e-mails?  The lending industry is changing.  Does ACT! want to exclude this industry?

Let me try to understand what companies and groups mean then.

If I added a division to a company and filled in all the information pertaining to that division, it would included its specific address, phone number etc. If I added a contact, that contact has his/her own cell #, direct number in the division(if applicable), his/her own e-mail address etc.

So if the division has a special e-mail address FOR that division,  there is no way other than "informationally" to put this info in?  I can't send an e-mail by clicking the hyperlink?

ACT!'s own database logic requires that "e-mail" data type be available for companies and groups.

What?

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-28-2008 05:29 AM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-28-2008 05:56 AM

The issues is that email is a person to person communitation... that is: you email a perosn, not a company.

It would be very rare for a user who wants to email a company and not care who that email was read by. ACT! is not unusual in this... it's the normal practice for all similar products except those designed specifically for accounts.

ACT!'s database logic is that the main phone/address is applicable for a division, but the cal phone, email, etc is applicable for a contact