Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why is load a custom created .map file, doesn't seem to work...

Why is load a custom created .map file, doesn't seem to work...

[ Edited ]

<edit: Somehow the Subject was replaced with the wrong subject?!?)...

Hello,

I have created a tool to help someone use their existing version of Act Pro (17.0.151.0).

I have manually created a .map file since we are importing 420 columns of data (most of which is currently blank, but it for future proof).

I have mapped 124 of those columns to either existing default values, or set it to "create a new field". However, it seems as though, every time I load the .map file from the Import > Contacts window, it doesn't actually LOAD any of our mappings.  I have setup a small sample, exported it, and then replicated the formatting exactly (even to the tabbed spacing), but it still fails.

Is there a trick to get the .map file to load successfully ?

Here is a sample of some of my formatting:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<FieldMap>
  <FieldRecordMap DataSetName="Arbitrary" FirstRecordIsHeader="true">
    <RecordMap Name="Arbitrary">
      <FieldMetaData Name="Consultant" Display="Consultant" FieldType="STRING" IsVisible="True" IsReadonly="False" LUID="-1" />
      <FieldMetaData Name="Inputby" Display="Inputby" FieldType="STRING" IsVisible="True" IsReadonly="False" LUID="-1" />
<FieldMetaData Name="timestamp" Display="timestamp" FieldType="STRING" IsVisible="True" IsReadonly="False" LUID="-1" />
    </RecordMap>
  </FieldRecordMap>
  <FieldRecordMap DataSetName="Contact" FirstRecordIsHeader="true">
    <RecordMap Name="Contact" />
  </FieldRecordMap>
  <AssociationMap>
      <Association>
      <Field Name="timestamp" />
      <Field Name="&lt;Create new Act! field&gt;" />
    </Association>
  <Association>
      <Field Name="Consultant" />
</Association>
  <Association>
      <Field Name="Inputby" />
</Association>
 </AssociationMap>
</FieldMap>

Re: Why is load a custom created .map file, doesn't seem to work...

Ok, 

So it seems as though the .map file load feature, ignores/doesn't populate the "Create a new field" option, it only loads mappings for existing columns.

Hi there, I have tested this internally, and I have found the same behaviour as well, I agree that the mapping will work only for existing columns.

Unfortunately, in many situations, this makes 1/2 of the mapping tool basically useless. Since the software scans the headers and tries to match them anyway, why would you need the import map, if it isn't for when you need to create a large new set of columns within the database ?