Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why doesn't custom field appear in Select Fields dialog box?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Why doesn't custom field appear in Select Fields dialog box?

I added an "Industry" field to the contact layout. I realize now that I need an "Industry" field on the company layout linked to the "Industry" field on the contact layout. I used the "Define Fields" tool to create an "Industry" field and drop-down list for both companies and contacts. Both are set us as character fields with 128 max characters. The "Industry" field for companies is linked to the "Industry" field on contacts. I was able to add "Industry" to the contact layout without problem, but when I try to add it to the company layout, it does not appear in the "Select Fields" window. How do I get "Industry" on the company detail screen?

BTW, we now have data in the industry field on the contact detail, so whatever I do, I need to retain this information.

Thanks!

Cheryl 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cheryl.Edwards@WesleyIntl.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Why doesn't custom field appear in Select Fields dialog box?

[ Edited ]

Cheryl,

I'm pretty sure that is because the Industry field is already persent on the Company side layout  under tab called Company Info.

so it sounds like you have defined fields and links options correctly?

Not sure why you would have needed to create another Industry Drop Down as there is already one created and already used by the Industry field in the Company record/Company Info Tab/Industry field.   Just needed to Create a Industry field for the Contact record and use the same Industry drop down for both record types and Link the two Industry fields.

When you update/enter info in the Industry field on the Company / Company Info Tab,

then click on that Contact record for that company, you will be prompted if you wish to update the Industry Field for that contact record.

If Company record already created, it Seems to be a one way street in that you have to do this from the Company side to update the Contact record / Industry field info. 

But it does not seem to work from the Contact record as far as automatically updating to the Company record side / Industry field info.

When you update the Industry field on the Contact record, then Create a Company record from that contact record, the Industry field in the Company record does get updated/created. 

Cheers - FSB

Message Edited by FillStaffBill on 03-10-2009 09:50 AM
Message Edited by FillStaffBill on 03-10-2009 10:03 AM
Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cheryl.Edwards@WesleyIntl.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cheryl,

I'm pretty sure that is because the Industry field is already persent on the Company side layout  under tab called Company Info.

so it sounds like you have defined fields and links options correctly?

Not sure why you would have needed to create another Industry Drop Down as there is already one created and already used by the Industry field in the Company record/Company Info Tab/Industry field.   Just needed to Create a Industry field for the Contact record and use the same Industry drop down for both record types and Link the two Industry fields.

When you update/enter info in the Industry field on the Company / Company Info Tab,

then click on that Contact record for that company, you will be prompted if you wish to update the Industry Field for that contact record.

If Company record already created, it Seems to be a one way street in that you have to do this from the Company side to update the Contact record / Industry field info. 

But it does not seem to work from the Contact record as far as automatically updating to the Company record side / Industry field info.

When you update the Industry field on the Contact record, then Create a Company record from that contact record, the Industry field in the Company record does get updated/created. 

Cheers - FSB

Message Edited by FillStaffBill on 03-10-2009 09:50 AM
Message Edited by FillStaffBill on 03-10-2009 10:03 AM
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Nickel Contributor

In the select fields dialog box, at the top should be a pull down with a few options of which field list to look in, make sure it says company.

That explains it. Thanks a lot!

Is there any way to move a field to a different tab? We'd really like "Industry" on the main company detail screen. 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Backup your database before making major changes just to be safe.

then

Tools

Design Layouts

Company

(option) instead of changing your existing company layout, you can do a file ; save as and save a new layout with different name;

then

sort of a drop and drage thing from there. find the Industry field on the company layout  / company info tab

then place mouse on the Field and its Label and drag it up the your main/top screen view of your company layout wherever you need it to appear.

Cheers - FSB