Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why doesn't ACT have a call sheet report?

Copper Contributor

Why doesn't ACT have a call sheet report?

Okay,  I have been an ACT user for something like 10 years.  Prior to ACT I used software I created myself on Filemaker Pro for many years and before that I used DB Master on an Apple 2c.  I've been doing this a long long time.  So after spending an entire day trying to make this report, I don't understand why ACT can't have a simple Call Report in it's list of Reports.  They have lots of really spiffy ones that few people I know would use (you all know what they are)  but not one I actually need.

This report would tell my employer that between these two dates, I called on these people and talked about this.  It would be sorted by date because that is what most sales people's bosses want to see.

It would be nice if could tell you when you plan to follow up on this latest call and if it figured in sales (with totals) that would be even better.  I was able to do it with Filemaker Pro years ago.  How many people work at Sage and haven't been able to figure this out?

Or am I just missing something!  Quite possible.

Copper Contributor

Re: Why doesn't ACT have a call sheet report?

By the way, I was also able to do it in DBMaster Plus. That was more than twenty years ago.
Platinum Elite Contributor

There are a number of ways to do this... if all the calls were originally entered as Activities, you can use the Task List (Options | Show Cleared). Then set the columns and filters as you want.... then prints or export to excel for pivot table/chart

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the comments and work arounds but you are making my point.  Why have a report generator that doesn't allow you to create simple reports? Many of the people using ACT are in sales.  If you are in sales, you need to generate a call report.  Every company that I have worked asked for one by date and then by account telling them what you did with that account on that day.  If you can tell them when you plan to see the account again that is better.  It is best if you can tell them if you made a sale on that call and how big the sale was.  And then if you really want to be good, your report should total the dollars for the time period and let your employer know how much money you generated for the coming in that time period (no matte what it is),

As I said before, I was able to do that with Filemaker Pro (a simple relational database) for many years and on DB Master Plus 25 years ago.  DB Master Plus for the Apple IIc was a flat file database that relied on swapping old 5.25 inch disks to hold the data (that was before hard drives).  If Stone Mountain technology could figure it out back then, Sage should be able to figure out a simple report generator.

Bronze Contributor

I agree and for one will add that to the requested features forum.  I hope you do so as well.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the very good point. I will bring it up over there as well.

Charlie

What you describe isn't a simple report to construct. At the very least it involves three major tables of the database and possibly four or even five. In part because of the design of the user interface for the ACT! reports, the report you describe simply can't be done with the ACT! reports. It might be possible with a third party report generator like Crystal Reports but it wouldn't be easy. Part of the difficulty lies in the fundamental design of the ACT! database. The activity and history tables are classed a sub-entities in the ACT! database. To easily create the report you describe one or both of those table would need to be a primary entity (Contact, group, company and opportunity are the primary entities in the ACT! database structure.) 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Roy,

Thanks for taking the time to explain the problem with creating my report.  It is easy for me to create my own program just for me. I understand that it becomes monumentally more difficult to create a program that will "fit" lots of different people who don't necessarily work like me. In attempting to create subreports and figure out how to sort things, I began to realize that "activities" had to be tied with "contacts".  Therfore you couldn't sort on "dates" within "acitivities".  Wierdly enough, I was able to create a call report ordered by contact/company but I couldn't sort by date within each contact.  That truly looked ugly.

It just seems strange to me that ACT would make "Activites" a sub-entity when that is the primary purpose of the program.  You use ACT to track and report people and the things you do with them.  I originally thought the program had four main databases that related to each other equally:  User, contact, activity, company.  There were a couple of other minor ones below them: Activity type, order. etc.  It seems strange that when they went to a relational database they "subentitied" activities.

All this is easy for me to say!

Again, thanks!

Charlie

I believe the only version of the ACT! program that was single table flat file was the very first version which was built on Symphony. The first version that had much market presence (the real ACT! 1.0) had already moved to a multi table structure with Contact being the primary entity. This dates back to about 1986 or 87. Contacts remained the only primary entity until ACT! 3 when Groups became a primary entity. My point with the history is that activities and history were always sub-entities, in fact until ACT! 3 you had no choice, when you cleared an activity it was removed from the calendar.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129