Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why does it import only 85 contacts?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Why does it import only 85 contacts?

I have ACT 2007 and I want to add 6000 contacts from another database. I have saved in excel, text delimited, both comma and tab and it doesn't seem to matter I can onlly import 85 contacts at a time. this is taking me way too long. I have reav various posts in this forum and NONE of the suggestions work. I still get only 85 contacts to import. Can someone please tell me WHY??!!!!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bcrtech
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Why does it import only 85 contacts?

Hi, a common problem importing is 'dirty' data, that is unexpected characters in the .csv file.

To test this, if your re-sort the .csv file so that instead of being sorted on the CONTACT name, sort it by the COMPANY. Then try importing.

If it fails somewhere other than record 85, that would be a strong sign that you have some data in there that is causing it to fail.

If this is the case, then running script over the data to remove any unwanted characters such as 9(TAB), 10(Line Feed), 13=(Carriage Return),will likely fix the issue.

Ben. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author bcrtech
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Hi, a common problem importing is 'dirty' data, that is unexpected characters in the .csv file.

To test this, if your re-sort the .csv file so that instead of being sorted on the CONTACT name, sort it by the COMPANY. Then try importing.

If it fails somewhere other than record 85, that would be a strong sign that you have some data in there that is causing it to fail.

If this is the case, then running script over the data to remove any unwanted characters such as 9(TAB), 10(Line Feed), 13=(Carriage Return),will likely fix the issue.

Ben. 

this is a bit "new" to me...how do I re-sort the .csv file? The data was in lotus. I sent it to an excel file then a txt file (comma as well as tab)

Sam

Bronze Super Contributor

Well

I think it worked! I had the excel .cst file sorted by "company". So I just did the reverse of what you said and sorted by "last name" and all of my "test" contacts went in! I did not want to do a "test" with all 6000 names, so I wouldn't have to wait forever only to find out it might have failed...But the "TEST" list worked. so now I'm going to do the whole list.

Thanks,

Sam

PS - it's getting late here in Texas, it was 38C or 101F today....Welcome to Summer. I guess it is cold there.

DARN

The main database did not work....I was able to import 564 names only. I even tried to take those 564 names out and import the remaining in a whole new file and it wouldn't import any of that file...ZERO

Now what?

Bronze Super Contributor

This is actually a positive sign, that it is failing at a different point.

Do you know who was the 85th & 86th contact in the list originally?

and who is the 564th and 565th contacts in the re-sorted list?

It might be a special character in one of those entries.

Try removing those entries from the .csv file, does it go futher?

The key thing we are trying to do is identify what piece of data it is complaining about. Once you remove or edit the offending bits it will work.

Smiley Happy