Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why do I need SQL Database

Why do I need SQL Database

I have been using Act11 (2009) but it won't work with Windows 8 (new computer.)

I've downgraded to my older Act7 (2005) and it works great.  Had real issues with the SQL database as remnent files were everywhere.  totally uninstalled the SQL database and things work fine.

My question is there are still a few remnent SQL Server files.  Why do I need them?  Does Act2005 even use the SQL server?  I have a laptop and only use ACT and Microsift Outlook, and on this laptop it's a Windows XP.

Not concerned about the Windows8 on my desktop as it's working great and I'm off and running.  But wondering why I even need the SQL server or any of these files for Act2005??? 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Why do I need SQL Database

ACT7 (2005) uses SQL 2000 ... this definitely won't work on Windows 8

ACT11 (2009) uses SQL 2005, which Microsoft also didn't make compatible with Windows 8

ACT! 6.0 and earlier didn't use SQL ... but won't work with current versions of Office

I have Act2005 working fine on my new Windows 8.  the problem is when I uninstalled Act2011 from my XP laptop I had to lkiterally strip out all the SQL files and it wouldn't let me get them out.

I have now downgraded and installed Act2009 back on the laptop but now I can't figure out a way to get my files back and forth and the sync feature is apparently not available on this version of Windows 8, where my main database is stored.

It may be my only option is to change over to Chaos Intellect where I don't have to worry aobut windoes changes every year or so.  I'm just trying to get files back and forth from the laptop to the desktop and am not too keen on upgrading to the newest version of act as I'm not sure how that will work as well.  Quite frankly, after 13 years of being a loyal act user I'm about to jump ship.

Positive.  ACT! 2005 for Windows, Version: 7.0.4.82.  Had to downgrade because ACT! 2009 wouldn't run at all on Win8.

ACT! 2005 shouldn't, either ... and is likely to end up causing plenty of issues.

In part because it's SQL 2000 ... which Microsoft haven't patched for new operating systems (even for Vista), let alone for the security issues.

It also used .Net 1.1, which causes issues in Windows 8