Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why Is ACT Demo Location In Public

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Why Is ACT Demo Location In Public

When I install ACT, I always use the demo file to make sure everything is working before installing the database.

In chasing down a problem while setting up a new computer, I kept getting an error message that it can't find the host computer.

The root cause is that I forgot to change the computer name on the initial installation.  (Computer name change required by client)

So ACT was uninstalled, the computer name changed, and then ACT reinstalled.

It turns out that that when ACT is installed, the default location for the demo file is in the public directory:

>> Users >> My Name >> Documents >> ACT >> ACT Data >> Databases

However, when ACT is uninstalled the public location is not deleted and the PAD file remains unchanged.

ACT was reinstalled, and the PAD file in the standard location points to the PAD in the public location which then points to a computer name that doesn't exist.

Not only did ACT report that it couldn't find the host computer, it apparently went into an endless loop causing the curser to remain in the task bar.

I have a few questions:

1. Why does the installation of ACT put the Demo file in the public location in the first place?
  2. When ACT is uninstalled, why isn't the PAD in the Public Directory deleted?
  3. Can someone translate what the lines mean in the PAD file?

I will be putting this in Share Your Ideas.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.1.212.0 Update 4
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎08-17-2018 06:57 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Why Is ACT Demo Location In Public

Hello, very good questions...  I'm not an expert, but I have some ideas...

The idea of placing the DEMO database in public is:

1. because in this location there is less security issues by Windows security creates accessing the database

2. Because when creating new users, the central meeting point or common denominator will always be the public folder

2.png

Finally, the idea after changing the name to a computer, is to delete the PAD file and open the database again by double clicking on the ADF file, this process will create a new PAD file

When the change of the name of the computer was in an Act! Server, the same process is done and this new PAD file is copied to the desktop of the Act! Users. that connect to the database through the local network

...Click on the image to enlarge

1.png

With the passage of time ... the idea is to pass all the implementations of applications and databases that must be installed locally TO a web or cloud implementation ... just to avoid installation problems, centralize the responsibility of administration and information security And that users have less local physical resources (hard disk and files) this facilitates the convenience of movement and the less possibility of information loss

......If this answered your question, please click on ACCEPT AS SOLUTION - Best regards and Good luck

FIRMA.png

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎08-17-2018 06:57 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Hello, very good questions...  I'm not an expert, but I have some ideas...

The idea of placing the DEMO database in public is:

1. because in this location there is less security issues by Windows security creates accessing the database

2. Because when creating new users, the central meeting point or common denominator will always be the public folder

2.png

Finally, the idea after changing the name to a computer, is to delete the PAD file and open the database again by double clicking on the ADF file, this process will create a new PAD file

When the change of the name of the computer was in an Act! Server, the same process is done and this new PAD file is copied to the desktop of the Act! Users. that connect to the database through the local network

...Click on the image to enlarge

1.png

With the passage of time ... the idea is to pass all the implementations of applications and databases that must be installed locally TO a web or cloud implementation ... just to avoid installation problems, centralize the responsibility of administration and information security And that users have less local physical resources (hard disk and files) this facilitates the convenience of movement and the less possibility of information loss

......If this answered your question, please click on ACCEPT AS SOLUTION - Best regards and Good luck

FIRMA.png

Silver Super Contributor

Just to add to the reply.

None of the database items are deleted when ACT is removed as it maybe part of a reinstallation on the same computer and also the location of the databases may not be in the users default location under Documents so the uninstall would not be able to find them.

The .pad file is a pointer towards the location of the actual database files and contains the path to the database so if the computer name is changed then the pad file will point to the old name.

Deleting the pad file and opening ACT using the ADF file makes ACT create a new pad file with the correct information. The pad file is useful when users on a network have ACT on their machines but the database is on a server. By copying the pad file to the local machines desktop or act folder and clicking on this ACT automatically opens the server hosted database and it is a more effective way when it comes to linking Outlook to have the pad file on the local machine.

Hope that helps