Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Which version to buy?

Which version to buy?

We want to upgrade from Act 6.0 to either Act 11 or 12.   I'd like to know which, if either, is superior in reliability, ease of use, speed, etc.  Are there significant drawbacks to either?  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Which version to buy?

Nearly always best to go for the latest version ... especial if more than 6 months since release.

So, go for ACT! 2012 if you can
Silver Contributor

Agreed, stick with the latest Version for

1) improved features

2) performance and bug fixes

3) integration with newer versions of MS office, Operating systems, and Web Browsers.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

One more question - We're using ACt 6.0.  If we upgrade to 2012, is it best to download or buy the software at a store?  does it matter?  and does 2012 work equally well with Windows XP and Windows 7.0?

Bronze Super Contributor

Buying the physical vs. download really doesn't matter unless you feel better about having a "factory" created DVD and/or if you have slow internet connection...

2012 will work with XP and Win 7.  Personally, I find Windows 7 to be a far better experience in general over XP, but both will work.

Do you mean Windows 7.0 is better in general than XP, or specifically for working with Act 2012?  And if we're wanting to use Outlook with Act, is either operating system preferable? 

Bronze Super Contributor

Well, let's look at it this way:  XP is 2002 technology.  Win 7 is 2010 or 2011 technology...

As far as Outlook and the OS, it matters not.

Either version of windows yeild basically the same experience for ACT! and Outlook.

But overall, the user experience in Win 7 is better than XP.  My opinion after having used both for many years.

Thanks so much; I really appreciate your time.

One small thing ... the SQL versions have different requirements to get the best performance. I'd check that you hard drive is 7200rpm or better and that you have 4GB RAM ... the processor is only important with many users sharing the db or using the Web version

If you have an old slow drive, it will feel quite sluggish