Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Which computer to install the ACT database?

Which computer to install the ACT database?

Hello,

We are going to purchase a single seat of vers. 11 to try it out.  (we are not currently using ACT!)  Our salesperson has a Thinkpad: 512meg RAM, 1.6Ghz Pentium M

I am concerned about running the database on this computer, but he will be the primary user.  If we are happy with the feature set, then we will be adding at least 2-3 more seats..

If we add another seat or more, can I move the database to a more appropriate computer?  I would prefer to use our SQL Server2000, but it is not the correct version..

Any other creative network configurations?

Thanks 

Bronze Contributor

Re: Which computer to install the ACT database?

Flommer,

Whichever machine you choose you will need to install ACT to manage the SQL instance although I would suggest if you are going to want to add additional users then you want to have at least 1Gb of RAM as 512Mb is the bare minimum. I would have at least 1Gb on the user machines as well.

I would not install on the machine with SQL 2000 as this is a different version of SQL and while Microsoft say they can all be on the one machine best practice would suggest this could create other issues

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Thanks for the reply.  

You're right, I wouldn't try to have SQL Server2005 on top of 2000.  Our ERP software database lives on that machine and is much more critical than ACT.

Any Advice on moving the database from 1 machine to another? 

Bronze Contributor

To move it to another machine do a backup and then do a restore as from the backup on the new machine should do the trick

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.