Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Which ACT! Version to choose?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Which ACT! Version to choose?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am currently using ACT! 2009 Premium with 2 PC's, one has a main DB on it & the 2nd syncs a remote DB to the main.  I would like to know if I purchase ACT! 2012 Pro or ACT! 2013 Pro (I do not need the new features in 2013, but I might consider using it) can I use it exactly like I am using my current version or do I have to purchase the Premium version?  I have looked at many reviews & the act web site, but they do not mention whether the Pro version will sync between 2 PC's like the 2009 Premium version does.

Thanks for your help.

John D.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jhmfavis
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Which ACT! Version to choose?

To answer your main question, yes they can sync to the main but there are some restrictions. The main one is that Pro doesn't have a sync server so the main computer ACT! program must be open to do the sync. The other main difference is that Pro is limited to application sync. That means that you have to use some form of a VPN to sync over the internet. My choice is to use Hamachi to create the VPN.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author jhmfavis
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

To answer your main question, yes they can sync to the main but there are some restrictions. The main one is that Pro doesn't have a sync server so the main computer ACT! program must be open to do the sync. The other main difference is that Pro is limited to application sync. That means that you have to use some form of a VPN to sync over the internet. My choice is to use Hamachi to create the VPN.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the quick response.

One more question, are there any issues installing the full version of 2012 Pro & then upgrading/restoring the 2009 version into it.  We do have some customized fields in the contacts tab.

Thanks again,

John D

Because of the new Sage rules on upgrade pricing I would go to ACT! 2013. The customizations are part of the database so they remain intact with the upgrade. Both ACT! 2012 and 2013 include an ACTdiag that will convert the premium database to the pro version, mainly that removes the additional security in the premium version.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129