Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Where is Outlook 2007 in Act 2009

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Where is Outlook 2007 in Act 2009

I am just installed Act 2009 and I have Outlook 2007.  I have an Act address book in Outlook, my calendars update each other instantly...when I hit copy, but when I click on the e-mail Icon on the side bar, I get a new e-mail for the record that is open.  ( I was expecting the e-mail send/recieve activity to happen and to see all of my Outlook folders in ACT...that does not happen) In addition, a couple of test e-mails sent out do not show up in history, either to the client or in My Record, but I do have the proper boxes checked.  Your advise and comments would be appreciated.

By the way I have seen some very complicated - my document editing requirements and thought this could not be necessary - am I wrong?

Brad

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bradsandy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Where is Outlook 2007 in Act 2009

Brad, its "working as designed". The tight integration with outlook lets you manage your act email tasks directly from outlook. The toolbar (in outlook) now has icons for attaching emails, creating new contacts, creating tasks and quick attach emails based on matching email addresses.

When in ACT! and you select the email icon, as you have seen it generates a new (outlook) email to the selected contact. The ACT! preferences (for email) let you select the history option (none, attach etc).Check that you have it set to your preference.

Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author bradsandy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Brad, its "working as designed". The tight integration with outlook lets you manage your act email tasks directly from outlook. The toolbar (in outlook) now has icons for attaching emails, creating new contacts, creating tasks and quick attach emails based on matching email addresses.

When in ACT! and you select the email icon, as you have seen it generates a new (outlook) email to the selected contact. The ACT! preferences (for email) let you select the history option (none, attach etc).Check that you have it set to your preference.

Regards
Neil Gilford
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au
Copper Contributor

Neil,

Thanks so much for your response.  I'm not sure if "it is working as designed" actually answers the question, but I do see that it is the Outlook toolbar not Act which is the e-mail function.  You will have to forgive me, but there was a time when the Outlook folders opened in the Act application and that Outlook ran in the background. If working in two applications is your idea of tight integration then I guess that is all that can be expected. Now that all the Outlook tasks are in Act from an Outlook calendar and task list, I see how it works and how they work together.  I guess it is OK and works.  I've never been such a big fan out Outlook - every crazy hacker in the world uses it to get even with Bill Gates. I prefer the Internet mail feature and hope that Act will keep making it better. Again thank you for responding.  These programs - forums - work because of willing partners like you.

Brad

Platinum Elite Contributor

Brad

At least for now, you have a choice. You can use the ACT! email client with a connection to Outlook and that works the same as it did in the past. What you did was to choose the preference setting to use Outlook directly. If you noticed, when you made that choice, all the other ACT! email preference settings dimmed out. Personally, I hate Outlook because Microsoft tried to do too much with it and as a result it does very little well. I don't know if you remember the old MS program Schedule Plus but Outlook appears to be an email client added to Schedule Plus with PIM features added. I personally still use Outlook Express as my preferred email client.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Elite Contributor

bradsandy wrote:

I am just installed Act 2009 and I have Outlook 2007.  I have an Act address book in Outlook, my calendars update each other instantly...when I hit copy, but when I click on the e-mail Icon on the side bar, I get a new e-mail for the record that is open.  ( I was expecting the e-mail send/recieve activity to happen and to see all of my Outlook folders in ACT...that does not happen)

While this will happen if you select ACT! as the email editor (in Preferences), it is not the preferred option. Itis much better to just use Outlook

In addition, a couple of test e-mails sent out do not show up in history, either to the client or in My Record, but I do have the proper boxes checked.  Your advise and comments would be appreciated.

It can take a minute or two for the history to be attached as it happens in the background so it won't slow you down. Failing that, see this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/9ndy4u

By the way I have seen some very complicated - my document editing requirements and thought this could not be necessary - am I wrong?

Like what?

Brad

Copper Contributor

Good afternoon Roy,  Count on the guys who have been around the block to still have good ideas.  Thanks for your thought about e-mail.  I got an e-mail some years ago in Outlook that destroyed a weeks worth of Word documents - including revisions on a book - that set my mind to hating all things MicroSoft. For now the sue of the two products is more about learning what may be possible for another book on Act. To me that still means that the basic discussion is about the Internet mail e-mail, but some things in remote sync worry me regarding this feature.

Brad