Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Where can I find complete instructions on uninstalling and reinstalling ACT on the same computer?

Copper Contributor

Where can I find complete instructions on uninstalling and reinstalling ACT on the same computer?

I suspect there are some files somewhere that need to be removed to be certain the reinstall will work correctly.

I have Windows 7 with Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.0.572.0, Hot Fix 2

I am the only user and use only one computer.

Any direction would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Where can I find complete instructions on uninstalling and reinstalling ACT on the same computer?

Why are you wanting to reinstall?

Normally you just need to uninstall from the Control Panel
Copper Contributor

Re: Where can I find complete instructions on uninstalling and reinstalling ACT on the same computer?

Hi Mike,

Thank you for asking.

I am assuming that after a crash on my computer while ACT! 2012 was running that my ACT! program has been corrupted somehow.  I can no longer access the Forward arrow icon button to page through multiple contacts from my Detail List view and before the crash I could.

I have asked about any fixes for this already and so far no luck, and decided that the best thing to do would be to uninstall and then reinstall the ACT! program entirely. 

I am assuming that if I try to reinstall ACT! OVER the old program that things might go more wonky than ever.  That is why I was asking for detailed instructions to uninstall and then reinstall ACT!.

I have had ACT! since it was offered in DOS and recall one time in which I tried to reinstall ACT! over an old version and really gummed up the works!  That was years ago, maybe on Windows 95, so I don't know what the current 2012 version would do or not.

If you have any way to simply fix this problem without having to do that I would love to hear it!

Here is a specific example of what my problem is:

When I go to Task List, highlight multiple contacts, right click, select Go To Contacts, and then click on Detail View I only see one contact and the Forward arrow icon is gray and disabled.

Before I could do this all the time and click the Forward button to move through the selected contacts.

I have Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.0.572.0, Hot Fix 2 with Windows 7 in a one-month-old new computer.

Before this crash everything was working splendidly. 

Any suggestions to just fix this one problem would be deeply appreciated.

Otherwise I will need to back up my current database on a thumbdrive, uninstall ACT! and then reinstall ACT!, restore the database, and reconfigure everything again (such as email, etc.).

Silver Super Contributor

I would try using actdiag to remove the Preferences and see if that fixes it.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Sadly that did not fix this problem.

But thank you for trying!

Highlighted
Silver Super Contributor

It's fixed it every time I've run into it.  Did you reboot the PC?  I don't know if that's necessary but it might be.  I haven't seen the problem  in a year or so and I don't remember but I do remember that changing the font settings back to the default setting fixed it.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

CORRECTION!!!

I think it HAS corrected the problem.

While the large Forward arrow icon does not become active, the small blue arrows (with the number of contacts between) in the Contact Detail Toolbar now allows me to move back and forth between contacts selected!

It also just possible that I may have simply been forgetting that this is how I always used to do this.  Memory can be a tricky thing sometimes.

In any case your suggestion either worked to fix it directly or worked to get me to see the way to do it correctly.

In either case thank you so very very much!!!

Copper Contributor

I will add that I spent 2 DAYS trying to fix this and was preparing to completely unistall ACT! and then reinstall it to get past this problem.

I am beginning to believe I simply no longer PERCEIVED what I was doing wrong, being attracted up to that big Forward icon button instead of the little blue ones directly to the right of List View button.

Again, THANK YOU SIR!  Smiley Very Happy