Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Where are databases located?

Where are databases located?

I copied the "ACT" folder in "my document" to back up my database. Then my computer chrased. I re-installed it, but the database in the "ACT" folder I had saved turned out to be an older version. I have no idea where the new version may reside, or if I am simply missing some files, i.e. in the C: directory...

Any clue?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Where are databases located?

The database can be anywhere you want ... the default will depend on the operating system and ACT! version.

Do a search for ADF ... should find it.

But, you won't be able to copy the file unless you stop the SQL services first.

Thanks, down under! I guess I screwed up. There was an error message, when I copied the folder. I did not think anything of it, but I guess i failed to copy the active database. It's all gone in never never land now...

As a tip for the future, I like to use Dropbox.com
Then use the ACT! Scheduler to automatically create backups in the Dropbox folder ... this gives an easy "off-site" backup that you can use to recover.

No, this was the original computer and I made all my backups manually, by copying the folder containing the database. This used to work with Act 3, which I used for the longest time. Then I upgraded to Act 2010 and did not realize things had changed in the meantime... My old fashioned backup technique does not seem to work any longer. Luckily, I still have an older version, with a lot of info, so I did not loose everything... I'll be more careful in the future.