Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Where are ACT data files typically kept?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Where are ACT data files typically kept?

[ Edited ]

I did a format, and forgot to backup ACT. Where are the database file for ACT usually kept? I'm trying to see If I can locate them after the fact. Also, what extention should I be looking for?

I do see files with the extention ADF, ALF and PAD, and the front filename is the name of the company. Could this be it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chaz

Message Edited by chazperx on 03-21-2010 05:21 PM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author chazperx
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Where are ACT data files typically kept?

Yeah, that'd be them, .ADF and .ALF are the database and .PAD is "pointer to ACT! database".  You can safely junk the .PAD file and open the DB via the .ADF the first time and it will recreate a new .PAD for you on the formatted computer.

By default, they're in your My Documents folder under Act\Act for Windows X (where X is the number of the version you're using, 11, 12, etc.)

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author chazperx
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Yeah, that'd be them, .ADF and .ALF are the database and .PAD is "pointer to ACT! database".  You can safely junk the .PAD file and open the DB via the .ADF the first time and it will recreate a new .PAD for you on the formatted computer.

By default, they're in your My Documents folder under Act\Act for Windows X (where X is the number of the version you're using, 11, 12, etc.)

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Platinum Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
You'll also want the "databasename-database files" folder.  It contains your attachments, layouts, reports, and templates for the database.
Message Edited by gmartin on 03-22-2010 06:02 AM
Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you both very much!

Chaz

I installed 2011 I was using 2010 Install did not make a Mydocs/act/actwindows13 folder.
Shouold I make one and dragmy data in?  Right now it will not start I have to start ACT click click then go click on my pad file then back to ACT to log in...

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Structures,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

With Act! 2011 the folder naming convention is now 'Act Data' instead of 'Act for Windows ##'.  Having your database in the 'Act for Windows 12' folder should not be a problem. 

The Act! Preferences should be retaining the location of the last opened database.  To double check the setting, go to Tools > Preferences > Start Up tab > click on Start Up Database button.  Here you can choose the database that will open or have it set to 'Last Opened'.

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Moved program files

I did something that moved many, but not all my document files to the root -- my documents. I'm trying to help them find their way back. I found a whole group of ACT files and I want to put them back. I have ACT 2008. Files include the Avery label numbers, 02 Needs Assessment, Envelope names, etc. Any ideas? And should I look for other files from the program as well or should I just reinstall.

Sussertown