Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

When does Act! need admin rights?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

When does Act! need admin rights?

I'm planning for a new Windows 10 Pro computer for a client. The machine will be part of a domain and will run Act Pro 19. Following security best practices, end users will not have Windows administrative rights.

I am concerned to read here that Act expects administrative privileges:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38171

How do I run Act! without administrative rights under Windows? When does it need admin rights?

Thanks,

Mark Berry

MCB Systems

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mcbsys
‎12-28-2017 09:05 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: When does Act! need admin rights?

Hi Mark,

ACT! will never need to be run “as Admin” in normal operation mode.

BUT: The Setup process of ACT! will have to be run by a (local) Admin on the machine, additionally using the right mouse context menu and run the Setup “As Admin”. This should prevent all of the mentioned problems you might find in the knowledge base, where the alleged solution for the problems is to run ACT! “as Admin” during normal operation. If ACT! is installed with proper rights, none of the problems will ever occur.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author mcbsys
‎12-28-2017 09:05 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Mark,

ACT! will never need to be run “as Admin” in normal operation mode.

BUT: The Setup process of ACT! will have to be run by a (local) Admin on the machine, additionally using the right mouse context menu and run the Setup “As Admin”. This should prevent all of the mentioned problems you might find in the knowledge base, where the alleged solution for the problems is to run ACT! “as Admin” during normal operation. If ACT! is installed with proper rights, none of the problems will ever occur.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de

Great! I am relieved to hear that we should be able to work without admin rights. I will try to remember to run the installer "as Admin" when the time comes to do that.

Besten Dank aus San Diego!

Mark Berry

MCB Systems

I've completed the move to Windows 10. The program itself runs without admin rights, but after using the scheduler to configure daily maintenance and backups, the user gets a UAC prompt every time they log in.

Don't the maintenance and backup run under the "Act! Scheduler" Windows service? Why does the scheduler UI have to run--with admin privileges--every time a user logs in?

For now I've disabled the scheduler program as a startup item.

ACT error 2.png

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

We would recommend that you turn off the UAC as detailed in this KB...

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25665

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

If I'm not mistaken, turning off UAC wouldn't help--Act Scheduler UI would just try to run with administrative privileges, which are not granted to non-admin users, so it would prompt for permissions anyway.

So the question remains:  why is Act Scheduler UI trying to run at every login when there is a service that runs the scheduled events?

Administrator

You're correct that the Windows Service is what handles the scheduled events - the scheduler UI runs at startup to provide a quick way to manage your scheduled tasks.

You should be able to disable this from the startup menu with no ill-effects if it's undesired - though I'd advise double checking that the tasks are still going through after doing so, just in case the wrong thing gets disabled!

Thanks Jon. Doesn't seem one would want to run the scheduler at each logon unless that also alerts to errors?

I'm setting up monitoring tools to check the Application event log for MSSQL$ACT7 maintenance and backup success events every day.