Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

When adding a contact to a Group, Act will change to the previous contact record

When adding a contact to a Group, Act will change to the previous contact record

This issue popped up fairly regularly in our previous version of Act (Act 11) and also does so in the current version, Act Pro 18.  Just a continuing glitch in the software, I'm assuming? I'm running Act! Pro Version 18.1.103.0, Update 3.

I'll be working with a contact record, could be a new record or an existing one. Then when I click Add/Remove Groups under the Groups/Companies tab, I'll get the pop up window of groups which I can select and add. However, I'm now working with the contact record I had worked with prior to the current contact. I have to hit Cancel, Back, Forward and I'm brought to the correct contact. 

It doesn't happen every time but often enough to be a nuisance.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Nick

Administrator

Re: When adding a contact to a Group, Act will change to the previous contact record

Hi Nick,

We haven't seen this behaviour in recent versions of Act. After some testing, I'm unable to replicate this issue.
Could you take note the next time this occurs for you, on what contact it occurred, and the exact point the contact changed unwantedly. Try and remember that last few steps you took so that we can try and build up a pattern of behaviour for this issue.

Re: When adding a contact to a Group, Act will change to the previous contact record

We are running Act! Pro Version 16.2.14.0 and have consistently had this same issue since we had upgraded to v16.  I found one post on this forum that discussed saving the contact before entering a note as a potential remedy, but I found that did not work.  Are there any fixes for this problem?  It appears it has lingered for years from what I've read.

Gary,

It has happened if I'm creating a new contact or editing an existing one. What seems to trigger the unintended change of contact is clicking the Add/Remove Groups spot under the Groups tab. It also happens from time to time when I click Cltr + N or [Note] at the top of the screen in order to add a new note. There's a split second where I see the screen jump to the wrong contact. It's as if Act! begins adding the info to the current contact but then hiccups and reverts to the previous contact.

When this issue popped up recently while creating a new contact, I was doing pretty standard adding of info. I was tabbing between fields ending with email address, skipped adding a website, added ID/Status then I clicked the Groups/Companies tab > Add/Remove Groups.

The Database Repair suggestion from another person on the forums here did not seem to solve the issue, Fyi.

Administrator

We're aware that Act will briefly show you the last contact you were viewing when performing some actions, i.e adding the contact to a group. This happens if the contact was found though an active lookup.

If you perform a lookup for an existing contact, then create a new contact, after clicking add/remove groups on the new contact you've just created, you should see the dialog box below:

Act!_2016-07-26_11-19-18.png

At this point, the contact displayed behind this dialog box will be the previously looked up contact. Clicking Yes should refresh the screen again and take you to the correct contact.

Are you experiencing different behaviour to this?

That is a different behavior than we are experiencing.  In Act! Pro Version 16.2.14.0 if I:

1. Perform a lookup and view a contact in the lookup.

2. Create a new contact.

3. Go to add/remove group in the groups tab.

This causes the new contact to flip back to the last viewed contact.  I do not get the pop up prompt below.  The same happens if a new note is added to the new contact, it flips back to the previously viewed contact requiring users to navigate back to the blank new contact.

Gary,

Sometimes I get that warning message, other times I don't.  It doesn't seem to correspond to the issue at hand - whether or not I am reverted back to the previous contact.  

As an aside, I don't care for that warning/confirmation message. I know whom I'm editing and if I want to keep editing that contact (i.e. by clicking add/remove groups) I don't need to be asked to confirm as much. If there's a way to turn it off, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Administrator

The warning dialog is letting you know that your current lookup will be discarded as the contact you are now viewing does not fall into that lookup.
I'm afraid there is no way to disable this warning.

We'll continue to monitor this issue. The next time it occurs, I would suggest trying to remember the exact steps you took that resulted in the contact changing unexpectedly. We are unable to replicate the issue, but with this information, we may be able to understand better why this is occurring for you.

Should I just make a new topic for this even though the issue appears to be the same?  For us the issue happens 100% of the time and I can outline the steps exactly if you like.  I have yet to hear any ideas that solve the problem we are having with the contact switching.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Chris,

Please do post the steps you are taking so that we can run some tests to try and replicate the issue. Feel free to post them in this topic.

An explanation of your expected result and actual result, and any extra detail you could provide would be useful.