Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

When I start ACT! the alarm popup window comes up showing 818 alarms ACT! Freezes

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

When I start ACT! the alarm popup window comes up showing 818 alarms ACT! Freezes

When I start ACT! the alarm popup window comes up showing 818 alarms. When I click on ANYTHING the program freezes. How do I resolve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tonyg
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: When I start ACT! the alarm popup window comes up showing 818 alarms ACT! Freezes

Hello Tonyg,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

First recommendation is 'waiting'. Try giving the database some extra time to finish loading the alarms before attempting to access anything. If you have been waiting 5 or 10 minutes, give it 15 to 20 minutes. You may be able to start clearing the alarms that way (you may need to stay away from the 'Clear All' option to begin with).

Second: Change your computer's Date setting to a year previous (recommend closing all other programs while doing this). Then open ACT! and clear the activities that are issuing the alarms. Depending on the scheduling of the activities, you may need to set the date back 2 or more years... Once you have cleared the activities, close ACT! > reset the date, launch ACT! to see how many alarms remain.

Third: If you have a backup of the database created right before the alarms appeared, you can restore it using the File > Restore > Database option. If you aren't prompted to enter a username/password before entering your database, locate the ACT! Demo database and double click on the PAD file to launch ACT!. You will then be able to access the File menu.

Fourth: The Sage ACT! Technical Support team has a utility to clear alarms. They can reached at 800-927-3989.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author tonyg
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: When I start ACT! the alarm popup window comes up showing 818 alarms ACT! Freezes

Hello Tonyg,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

First recommendation is 'waiting'. Try giving the database some extra time to finish loading the alarms before attempting to access anything. If you have been waiting 5 or 10 minutes, give it 15 to 20 minutes. You may be able to start clearing the alarms that way (you may need to stay away from the 'Clear All' option to begin with).

Second: Change your computer's Date setting to a year previous (recommend closing all other programs while doing this). Then open ACT! and clear the activities that are issuing the alarms. Depending on the scheduling of the activities, you may need to set the date back 2 or more years... Once you have cleared the activities, close ACT! > reset the date, launch ACT! to see how many alarms remain.

Third: If you have a backup of the database created right before the alarms appeared, you can restore it using the File > Restore > Database option. If you aren't prompted to enter a username/password before entering your database, locate the ACT! Demo database and double click on the PAD file to launch ACT!. You will then be able to access the File menu.

Fourth: The Sage ACT! Technical Support team has a utility to clear alarms. They can reached at 800-927-3989.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for your help. I had to back date my computer to 2008. Apparently  one  task that reccurs daily somehow appeared as if it had never been cleared. I can't imagine what caused that to happen. I have used ACT! since long before Sage purchased the product. Thir support, in my opinion, is horrible. I would not purchase a Sage product and am looking for a replacement to ACT!.

ah... you realize I work for Sage, right? Smiley Happy

Glad the alarms are all cleared up now.
Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

In all likelyhood the problem was caused by changing the recurring setup (Recurring Tab) on the activity.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129