Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

When I index/search "notes" field, it actually searches user field 9.

When I index/search "notes" field, it actually searches user field 9.

I make extensive use of Notes for my 1500 contacts.  I never use the "user fields", never have.  But I find no matter what I try to do, searching notes/indexing Notes fails, and experimentation finds the search is actually searching only in user field 9.  (!!!???)  I then found that when I am in List View of multiple contacts, and then in Edit Mode, when I make an input into one of the fields,  "Notes", it actually sticks the information not in Notes, but in User Field 9.  

So, somehow, User Field 9 has come to replace Notes and I need to untangle them.  Can anyone help? 

Doug Baldwin

dbainc2@earthlink.net

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: When I index/search "notes" field, it actually searches user field 9.

Notes isn't a field and wouldn't show up in the contact list view. It's a table acessed through the Notes tab.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: When I index/search "notes" field, it actually searches user field 9.

I am guessing that when you say "Notes", you do not mean Notes as in the Notes tab on Contacts, groups, etc., where you can add multiple Notes records to a contact...

When you are looking at a single contact record in the Contact Detail view, you have a field that is called "Notes"?

If you right click on the field, the resulting menu will say "Lookup <true field name>" toward the bottom.  Whatever that shows there is the REAL name in the database of the field that has the label "Notes" next to it...

It sound like someone customized your database, and changed the label for the User 9 field to be "Notes".

Current versions of ACT! do not include a field called Notes by default (don't know that older ones did either being that you could always create Notes in the Notes tab).

You have (at least) three options:  Leave it as is, knowing that User 9 = Notes.

2) Rename User 9 to "Notes" in the Define Fields tool.  (Perhaps not the best solution, but the easiest - backup your  database before making said change.)

3)  Creating a new field truly called "Notes".  Use the Copy Field tool from the  Edit menu to copy the contents of User 9 to your new "Notes" field.  Update your layout so the new field replaces the old one.