Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What to consider when porting an ACT! solution from ACT! Premium 2009 to ACT! 2010 (regular)?

Tuned Listener

What to consider when porting an ACT! solution from ACT! Premium 2009 to ACT! 2010 (regular)?

Hi All,

I've developed a solution using ACT! Premium 2009 and I now need to port it over to ACT! 2010 (regular version). Just wondering what additional things (files etc.) I may need to copy over (in addition to the database itself).

I have added new fields, new reports and new screen layouts, and when I tried porting over only the database, I found that the custom screen layout I developed wasn't showing in ACT! 2010. I figured I'd have to physically/separately/manually copyover the layout file from my machine to the other one. With that in mind, I was thinking that there could potentilly be other files (which I'm not aware of) that will need to copied across manually.

Thanks,

Cyril Rose

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.SynergyIntegration.com

--------------------------------------------------

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: What to consider when porting an ACT! solution from ACT! Premium 2009 to ACT! 2010 (regular)?

Since you are going from a Premium version to a Standard (regular) version, the first thing you will need to do is save a copy of the database in a 'Standard' format.  To do this: open your database > select File > select Save Copy As > enter new db name and location - change the Database Version to 'Act! 2009' > click OK to continue.  Do not open the 'Copy' in the Act Premium program, that will cause it to update to the Premium format.

Once the Save is complete, you will be able to copy the database files and move them to the new machine.  Review this link for instructions concerning how to copy your 'Copy' database:  How to Move an ACT! by Sage Database Without Doing a Backup and Restore

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: What to consider when porting an ACT! solution from ACT! Premium 2009 to ACT! 2010 (regular)?

To address which files: you will need the ADF, ALF, and '-database files' folder.  The '-database files' folder contains a subfolder called Layouts, that is where your custom layout will be located.

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Much thanks Greg!

Will try this out (perhaps tomorrow) when I have access to the machine which has 2010 Standard installed.

While on the topic of filenames/types perhaps you could tell me why I sometimes receive an error message (when trying to copy across - or restore a database, can't remember which option exactly) that says something about a connection to a network or something similar. Is that because the database might have been set as "shared"?

Cyril Rose

Bronze Super Contributor

Cyril -

You will need to be a little more specific on this last item...

What exactly are you doing when you get the error and what does it say?

Tuned Listener

So I tried this out today i.e. porting over the db created in v 2009 to v2010 Standard...and mostly everything went well...except for one thing that I'm foxed about ...and that's the fact that I'm unable to find (in the "Contacts" area of v 2010) where/how to view the activities, history and other tabs that are displayed towards the bottom in v 2009

I do not currently have (or am much exposed to v 2010) and therefore I'm not yet familiar with the interface (and where all the options are)...but maybe there's just some option somewhere that I need to turn on.

Thanks,

Cyril

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.SynergyIntegration.com

---------------------------------------------------