Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What's up with having to run 2011 in "Small" Display mode

Copper Contributor

What's up with having to run 2011 in "Small" Display mode

Was having issues saving the modified layout, after talking with support we found was running in "medium" 125% mode, she told me it would run only in "Small"100% mode. Realy i said, you mean i have to change all of our settings to "SMALL" in order to run 2011 in Windows 7. She said yes. Having 24" monitors were now using 1/3 of the viewing area, i think i might have to supply magnifing glass for staff, you know those big round ones with a club foot handle. I have a hard time believing that a database program such as this is unable to run in "ALL" Display modes, kinda makes all other features mute, when you have to bounce back and forth in display modes. This should be standard, not even an issue. Is any body else having this issue or is it something i missing???

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: What's up with having to run 2011 in "Small" Display mode

ah, yes.

This is an issue I'd love to see resolved.

Refer to my thread here for more: http://community.act.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas/Allow-font-sizes-other-than-96-DPI/idc-p/85649

This isn't an issue that's going to go away, it's only going to rear it's ugly head more and more as we get more and more bigger monitors.

Ben.

Copper Contributor

Okay Ben,

So let me understand, so you are an ACT! Certified "consultant" and are having trouble convincing the "Programmers" or powers to be that this is an issue that needs to be resolved, and their not listening to their own consultant?

Bronze Super Contributor

I suspect their listening, but more people need to be vocal about the issue so that it gets prioritised. As I've said, this issue is only going to get 'bigger'. How much bigger? Well I say 125% bigger so far.... Smiley Happy

Ben.

Bronze Contributor

I encourage everyone to read "The Inmates Are Running the Asylum":

http://www.amazon.com/Inmates-Are-Running-Asylum/dp/0672316498

It won't fix ACT!, but it will help answer our questions like "Am I nuts or has this been broken forever?"

Pat Sullivan, founder of ACT!, but longer involved with it, highly recommended this book.  Available for Kindle.

It will help to understand the mindset of programmers and why ACT! is in the state it's in.

Excerpt: "Rather than provide users with a straightforward set of options, programmers often pile on the bells and whistles and ignore or deprioritize lingering bugs."

Remember, even though Sage's focus is on selling upgrades, in Sage's mind, new features sell more licenses than fixed defects - there's no metric for how many users get frustrated and switch.  In other words, there's more sizzle in new bells and whistles.

Signature
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

ACT! is the only software I know that won't work with any of the standard Windows screen settings except "Small". 

This is, unfortunately, one of many lingering bugs and irritants that Sage has ignored for many years.  There are a few which are much more severe, and still don't get addressed.  Back when Pat Sullivan was running the company and Greg Head was product manager, this kind of stuff got fixed quickly.  Those guys actually listened to the people in the field who dealt with their products and customers every day, and then took the next step - actually doing something about it.

The current management seems much more interested in making sure that the pretty green leaves from the multi-million dollar rebranding make it into ACT!.  Fixing the product would do much more for their corporate image and be a lot cheaper, but it's not the priority.

</frustration>

Best Regards,

Chuck
Copper Contributor

Hey Chuck,

How do you really feel??????  I know your frustration. I have been in business for many years, and have learned to be a good listner to both employees and clients as well, this has proven to save me heartache as well as money in the long run. We try to stick to the basics in business providing customer service as a priority not getting caught up in the *%#)*&!@ and the *#$&^%@!* , just taking care of the basics, and all else seems to fall into place. Thanks for your reply.

Platinum Elite Contributor

This "problem" doesn't have a single owner, besides the ACT! program, other parties to the problem are the Windows OS, the display board and drivers. The ACT! screens are composed of a graphic template and a text overlay and there is where the problem starts. If large fonts was some kind of zoom function, there likely wouldn't be a problem but it's not. The large fonts setting only changes the text size, it doesn't directly effect the screen graphic. However, because the fields in the screen graphic are linked to and partially defined by the text size, changing to large fonts causes problems with the screen graphic. My experience from my tech support years is that different display boards and their drivers caused different problems when large fonts was used.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Contributor

Why then, not just according to me but to other posters here, is ACT! the only program that can't handle the different sizes?  Every Microsoft program handles them fine, as do all of my browsers, as does Mind Manager, GoldMine, Microsoft CRM, salesforce.com, Evernote, Chrometa, Adobe, Citrix, Agent, and I could go on and on.

Signature
Copper Contributor