Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What's the best way to set up for my Advertising business?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

What's the best way to set up for my Advertising business?

Hello!  

I would highly appreciate it if someone could suggest a way to set up ACT! for my business.  I have read the Dummies book, but still feel like one....

I sell ads for my publication I have, and am confused as to where to enter the stage of my sales process.  

1. I noticed the "Last results" on the Contacts window, and know that it could update my history whenever a change is made. 
  2. I noticed the "Opportunity" has a similar thing as well.
  3. The Notes can serve this purpose as well, 
  4. And maybe other options I didn't notice.
Here are the sales process, its pretty straight forward:
  1. I research potential clients, and enter them into my contacts
  2. I contact them, many times having to call back at a more convenient time
  3. When I finally speak to them, I make my pitch 
  4. I offer to send a digital media kit
  5. Sometimes I get requests for a hard copy of our media kit
  6. I offer to follow-up
  7. If they are interested in moving forward I email out an Application form
  8. I also mail out an Ad Spec Sheet for the ad size they want
  9. I may get a credit card number over the phone
  10. I wait for their fax of the application form signed
  11. I wait for their Print Ready Ad
  12. I wait for a check
  13. I may send a hard copy of the publication after print
  14. I make a follow-up phone call to see if they were satisfied with their ad
So as you can see, it would definetely be smart to have a way of seeing where I am in the sales process.  BUT I also need to know if certain items were sent or received.

As for the Opportunities, it seems like an extra step to do, meaning, entering information into a new window for every prospect.  BUT for reporting purposes, is this the only way to see, lets say, who did I send a media kit for, but not followed- up on??

If anyone could make suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it!

All the best

Aviel 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author avielchen
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: What's the best way to set up for my Advertising business?

First off, you are a VERY typical ACT user. All the things you do and want to do fit nicely into the ACT world.  It can be daunting at first to figure out what's the best way to leverage all the things you need to do.  Here's what I hope might be a simple way to view things - it's actually how we do things in our own business.

1.  If you are meeting or talking to a client - it's an activity on your calendar.  Then, when you close the activity, it gets automatically recorded in history - that captures your notes.

2.  When they bite and say yes to being interested - it's now an opportunity.  Within opportunities you capture the product and where they are in the process of buying.  There are many good reports that center around opportunities that it is a good thing to use them to capitalize on the reports already in the product.  The stages in your opportunities are where you track where in the process the sale lives.

3. I like to use groups to track the various people at various stages.  You can set up dynamic groups based on either a field (say ID/Status) or as we do, with a custom field called Stage.  What we do is set the Stage field to where we are in the process - initial call, sent out marketing blast, whatever.  When someone moves to a new stage, they move out of a group as well.  We check the various groups based on what we are doing - calling,sending out reminders, etc.

4.  Your Notes/history report will show you what has changed, etc on a periodic basis.

Yes, opportunties seem like an extra step, but it's worth it for the great reports.

Hope this little bit helps

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author avielchen
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

First off, you are a VERY typical ACT user. All the things you do and want to do fit nicely into the ACT world.  It can be daunting at first to figure out what's the best way to leverage all the things you need to do.  Here's what I hope might be a simple way to view things - it's actually how we do things in our own business.

1.  If you are meeting or talking to a client - it's an activity on your calendar.  Then, when you close the activity, it gets automatically recorded in history - that captures your notes.

2.  When they bite and say yes to being interested - it's now an opportunity.  Within opportunities you capture the product and where they are in the process of buying.  There are many good reports that center around opportunities that it is a good thing to use them to capitalize on the reports already in the product.  The stages in your opportunities are where you track where in the process the sale lives.

3. I like to use groups to track the various people at various stages.  You can set up dynamic groups based on either a field (say ID/Status) or as we do, with a custom field called Stage.  What we do is set the Stage field to where we are in the process - initial call, sent out marketing blast, whatever.  When someone moves to a new stage, they move out of a group as well.  We check the various groups based on what we are doing - calling,sending out reminders, etc.

4.  Your Notes/history report will show you what has changed, etc on a periodic basis.

Yes, opportunties seem like an extra step, but it's worth it for the great reports.

Hope this little bit helps

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Thank you Patricia for your kind response!

Activities to History works great for me.  The whole History thing is great.

Upgrading contacts to Opportunities sounds great, and I definetely see the advantages there.

Few fields and items are still confusing me...

For example, lets say:

1. I make a cold call, and don't get through to someone 
  2. I make a cold call, and get to make the presentation
Are these opportunities?  (I guess I could have a stage in opportunities as first call attempted, etc.)

Also, on the
  1. Contact detail page, there is a field called "Last Results"
  2. And in History and Notes, a field called "Regarding"
Are these fields good for something, such as reporting?

And Lastly, lets say I mailed a media kit and want to follow-up next week, should I
  1. make a to-do for next week, and track it that way, 
  2. or should I upgrade them to an opportunity?
  3. You mentioned Dynamic Groups, would this be where I would attempt to apply it to (if so, how...?)
I can't thank you enough for your time and effort, I can't wait to use this program already and clear my table of all the index cards and stickies...

All the best,

Aviel