Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What's the best way for my staff to remotely access ACT?

Skilled Commentator

What's the best way for my staff to remotely access ACT?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out a good way, and a cost effective way for my staff to have access to ACT from their mobile or lap top.  

I own a Personal Training company with 9 staff and growing.  When a Personal Trainer takes a booking at the Studio they can of course put it in ACT on the spot, however when they are at a clients home/the beach/park etc (this is happening more and more as this side of the business grows) they have to write it in their diary to do later or text the Gym to get someone else to book it on. This obviously isn't a good long term solution!

I know ACT for web and similar things will solve this problem perfectly however it is very expensive to pay for 9 users when many of our staff would only need to use it remotely for a few lots of 5 minutes a week.  At present we only have one user as we all use the one computer in the Gym.

I also need the solution to only give the Personal Trainer access to their activities, not everyone elses for security reasons. Ideally they would also only be able to see certain fields as well.  

The Trainers use there own mobiles when on the road, and there own computers when at home. 

The solution also needs to allow for our growth, I don't have a problem with something that's expensive as I'm looking long term and when we have 30 staff.  I just don't want to pay for a whole new user, and spend ages setting it up, every time we get a new Trainer especially considering they might then quit after a month, which often happens in my industry.  

What are my options and costs?

Thanks! 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: What's the best way for my staff to remotely access ACT?

You do need one license per user to maintain their schedules and activities.

This gives a range of ways to support remote users:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/11/supporting-remote-users-with-act-by.html

For the mobiles, you might also have a look at:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/05/getting-act-on-your-phone.html

Skilled Commentator

Hi Mike,

Great thanks for the review that helps. I think hand held contact is probably the best at this stage. When you say I need one user per license do you mean for each person who has hand held contact on their mobile I need to pay for a hand held contact license AND an ACT user license? Or just one handheld contact license per mobile?

At this stage we only have one ACT user/license as it is only installed on one computer that everyone uses. We just have each Trainer down as an inactive user to know who to book sessions under, they never need to log in as their user name. 

Thanks,

Scott 

Platinum Elite Contributor

In order to get access to each trainer's calander, HHC needs to log in as each user.

So, yes... you'll need a license of both.

In Australia, there is a special bundle available through Sage... by ACT! + HHC at a discount from buying both