Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What's the best solution

What's the best solution

I've looked around but have not found the reply I need so sorry if this has already been posted.

I've been playing around with a demo premium version for the last 20 days.

I'm looking into the best solution for our company:

5 people taking appointements for a sports club in the we.

We have about 100 to 150 rendez vous per day with about 40 000 names in the database and everybody already has a portable compter with XP, vista and MAC (only one)

1) I would like every body  to be able to set the appointements for our business and not for the individual loggong the meeting ( all 5 should be able to log for 1)

2) I've been using  the premium version, but I'm not sure about the sync: wouldn't it be better to have a real client server instead for our needs? Would the standars version be enough?

3) What server soltion would be best and not just minimal

Quad Core Intel® Xeon 2go or  lower 4go ram with 2 raid HD and gigabite lan

Thanks for your advice

Mike

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: What's the best solution

For MAC - you'd need either Paralles or VMWare... or use ACT! Premium for Web, which now supports the Safari browser.

1. Users can schedule activities for other ACT! users

2. Sync is for remote users (laptops or remote offices).

3. Depends on what else is on the server... 5 remote users means their speed depends on their local system and the server is one for sync. If not local users, the server config isn't all that important.

I recommend the databases be on machines with 2GB RAM and 7200rpm drives or better... in your case, this would mean the portable systems if the databases are sync'd there. For 5-10 users, the processor isn't all that much of an issue.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: What's the best solution

I'm looking into the best solution for our company:

5 people taking appointements for a sports club in the we.

We have about 100 to 150 rendez vous per day with about 40 000 names in the database and everybody already has a portable compter with XP, vista and MAC (only one) See Mikes answer on the MAC

With this kind of volume I would expect you want real time data available to the schedulers, if thats the case synchronization isn't a good choice as your master database is only as current as the last good synch by every user. Look at a Client server setup if your in a LAN or a ACT Premium for the Web if your schedulers are in remote locations.

1) I would like every body  to be able to set the appointements for our business and not for the individual loggong the meeting ( all 5 should be able to log for 1)

This "named user" approach is by design, please clarify what problem it creates and perhaps we can suggest a workaround.

2) I've been using  the premium version, but I'm not sure about the sync: wouldn't it be better to have a real client server instead for our needs? Would the standars version be enough? If you are in a LAN and don't require internet access to the data yes.

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA