Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What's best way to backup my Act 2013 database?

What's best way to backup my Act 2013 database?

I use a sync software that keeps a mirrored copy of the Act files.  However, that does not seem to be easy to do.

What's the best way to backup my Act database on a daily or weekly basis?  I would prefer to have exact copy of the files on a network hard drive.  Is that an option?

Please advise.  Thank you.

Bronze Contributor

Re: What's best way to backup my Act 2013 database?

hi atomarchio ...

If you search on the keyword backup you will see that the consultant and ACT gurus all agree to use the Act! backup program which creates a zip file with the option to include all the documents and attached eMails.

That file will easily rebuild the db if needed or create a new one.  The wizard takes you through creating the automatic backup.  In the wizard you will be able to chose if you want just one or x number of days.  For me, I keep the last 5 days. 

Hope that helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

Is there way to copy specific files and create a backup?  

I use an autosync software program to copy exact files from computer to network attached hard drive.

I don't have any documents or attached emails.  I have approx 2,000 contacts with notes.  That's all.

Please advise.  Thanks.

Bronze Contributor

Yes there is and I would do a search on the board to understand the file relationships.  I am an average user who has learned through my own mistakes that following best practices will reduce the number of times my  business is interrupted.

I will only reinforce what my original response is ... use the included backup program then autosync to copy that file to your network attached hard drive. 

John Purdy
Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes but don't do that. Excellant way to corrupt a database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

What do you mean by that?  How does copying the files corrupt a database?

So I am supposed to create a zip backup and then copy that?  How do I know the zip is not corrupted and can actually be restored?

Bronze Super Contributor

The zip is created by Act! and is good and shouldn't have any problems.

You can always do a reality check by doing a Restore As and giving the new db another name from the original.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

So I goto "File", then "Backup Database".

I only have contacts, notes history, and cleared calls. 

Do I still need to backup entire database or can I just backup personal files?

Please clarify.  Thanks.

Bronze Contributor

Yes, you need to create a backup of the database as that's where contacts, notes history, and cleared calls are maintained as well as a plethora of other customer and company related information.

Personal Files folders are automatically created during installation of ACT!. These folders store data that is not associated with a specific contact record. The Personal Files can also include copies of the database supplemental files: for example, if you are writing a letter or report template that you do not want to store in your database or share with other users, you can store it with your personal supplemental files.

Personal Files include:

• Documents you have saved
  • Internet links
  • Spell check Dictionaries
  • Menus and Toolbars

For me, I do a personal files backup about one a week, but I do the full db every day and keep the last 5 days.

John Purdy
Platinum Elite Contributor

Two points: a database needs to be thought of as a single entity regardless of the number of files making up the database and all the field data in the ACT! database (contacts, notes, history and opportunities are stored in a single file so that a only new can't be separately backed up.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129