Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What's Wrong with Notes and History?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

What's Wrong with Notes and History?

I have finally moved to ACT2006 (V.8) from ACT2002 (v.6) and find that NOTES and HISTORY will accept only 10-12 lines of information. Used to copy email conversations on to NOTES to save writing and now I can't do it.  Even tho the NOTES boxes will accept the copy it will not save anything over 10 or 12 lines.  This makes our NOTES File nearly worthless as we have notes back to MS-DOS in the 1990's.  I have purchased ACT2009 at home for personal use and I guess it will not work either.

Any suggestions or insider work-arounds?  (Why would they take something away from a product?)

Jerry Peters

Brayton Purcell LLP

415-898-1555

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author agp1066
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: What's Wrong with Notes and History?

Jerry,

I took a look at my version of 2006 and created a test Note and History entry with 16 lines each (it did allow more, however).  When I'm in Contact View in the Notes or History tab, any single entry will show exactly 14 lines visible in the tab unless I open that entry... then I can see the full contents of the data entered.  I believe that's as much as you can see in the Notes or History tab for any entry without opening it to see futher detail.  If you are certain that data beyond 10-12 lines is not being saved (double check by opening the entry), good luck with that one... haven't ran into that problem yet.  Might want to reinstall the software if all else fails in the end.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author agp1066
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Jerry,

I took a look at my version of 2006 and created a test Note and History entry with 16 lines each (it did allow more, however).  When I'm in Contact View in the Notes or History tab, any single entry will show exactly 14 lines visible in the tab unless I open that entry... then I can see the full contents of the data entered.  I believe that's as much as you can see in the Notes or History tab for any entry without opening it to see futher detail.  If you are certain that data beyond 10-12 lines is not being saved (double check by opening the entry), good luck with that one... haven't ran into that problem yet.  Might want to reinstall the software if all else fails in the end.

Platinum Elite Contributor

In ACT! 10/11 (not sure this was in v8), there is a panel on the right that will display the content of the note/history without having to open the item.

Also, in the later versions, emails sent with Outlook will automatically be added to the History without having to copy it.

In ACT! v 9 and earlier, the history tab would display 1 line of the history.  It was quick and simple to open the history to see more if required, or use the preview pane.

Now by default ACT! v11 shows 7 lines of history, and there appears to be no way to change that.  We attach all emails and it is a nightmare trying to find a particular history item down a long list.

Surely if you want to see more than 1 line, the preview pane does exactly that - so why is it not possible to display only 1 line of each history item?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter 

Hi Mike,

I need a printout of the actual information in History that appears in full in the right panel.  How does one go about getting a printout of the actual blow-by-blow history with a contact if the list simply truncates the entries?

Has anyone found a solution to this?  I want to printout all of the details of each history record, but they are all truncated.  So unless the detail is just a couple of lines long, my details printout is missing... details!  Any ideas?  Thanks!!
Bronze Super Contributor

Not sure how are trying to do this, won't be able to do a screen print.

If you use the Notes/History, this will include and print notes and/or histories(according to the filters you set) in their entirety no matter how many lines...

Go to the Reports menu and select it.

Run it for the current contact

Thanks for the quick response! 

Unfortunately, that's exactly how I did it - and it shows shortened entries.  The strange thing is, I've got some entries that are several lines long, and some that are just one line long.  It seems no matter how long the entry is, it just cuts off the end.  For example, I have an entry that is 8 lines long, and in the report, it shows 7 lines (cutting off 3 words that should have gone to the next line.)  Then I have a one line entry, and again, the report produces a one line entry (slightly skinnier than the history tab window), and again, the couple words that should be on line 2 are just cut off.

Any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Did you modify the report template?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Having the same problem. Old histories from Version 2007 show up fine. Anything entered in 2011 only gives me the first line too! Would like a solution if possible.

Angelo