Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is the "Today" command???

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

What is the "Today" command???

This has to be easy but I can't find it and it hasn't turned up in my help searches.

Every morning I look up who I want to call today so I do a search "on or before" whatever today's date is.

I'd like to save this search once using "on or before "TODAY" and just recall it every morning.  What is the today command. I know there is one because it's used in history.

WHAT'S THE "TODAY COMMAND"  ugh!!!  I has to be obvious but I've tried everything I can think of but I can't get it to work.

Help!!! and thanks!!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author rocketmcs
‎08-30-2017 07:33 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: What is the "Today" command???

Which field are you in?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hi rocketmcs,

I believe what you would need is to create an advanced query for the lookup you would like to use, then create a custom command on your Toolbar. 

I have included articles which should guide on creating this.

KB 26794 - How to create an Advanced Query in Act!

KB 14284 - How To Customize a Menu or Toolbar in ACT!

There is no command built into act and believe when you mention the history 'Today' you are referring to the filters you can apply?

First thanks for your help but I know how to do an advanced query... that's not my question.
I wasn't clear...

There has to be a "today" criteria it's used in the history lookup. You can select it from the menu. 

Like Excel has the "now()" and Outlook has the "Today" command Act has to have is same ability.

I want to save a find all my today accounts WITHOUT having to change the date EVERY 24 hours.

Again thanks for your help

Bronze Elite Contributor

.Horn is correct, if you follow his instructions you will achieve what you are trying to do.

Start by doing the lookup on or before today and then select Go to advance Query option. Now save it and then make available as Horn has explained using a custom command and adding into the Toolbar.

First thank you!

What do I type in the "value" field? Today?

That's all I'm asking.

If I do a lookup on today's date and add it to the tool bar how does that toolbar button update TOMORROW. My button just keeps searching for YESTERDAY.
How do I get it to "ROLL OVER" every day?

I'm back to ACT after 8 years but I'm a long time user... I was a beta for ACT #1 in the 80s (it ran in DOS) have used many versions since and maybe that's the problem.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi and welcome back to ACT.

Before I answer can I make sure I understand what you want to look up so I don't give the wrong answer.

Is it a date field that you are searching on or is it an Activity that you have created?

Great question...
I've created a date field called NEXT CALL
I put the date in that field that I want to call my clients back on (duh!)
Every morning I do a contact advanced lookup to find the accounts I should call today
This morning it was "on or before" 8/24/17
I use on or before to pick anybody I failed to call yesterday

Having to type in the date EVERY morning is a grind ... what generic value do I to default to the CURRENT date so I don't have to change the date in my lookup every 24 hours?

Did that answer your question?

In about 1985 I was managing a sales team and I read in PC magazine about new software for SALES PEOPLE called ACT. That was radical idea in '85. I TELEPHONED ACT and they sent me a demo disc. I bought the software and designed a paper based front end for our daily sales reporting. PC were so expensive then we only had a single machine for the whole team) long story shortened that ACT system made us millions. Millions!! I'm a fan.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Will answer your question tomorrow but can I ask why you are not using the Activity feature and putting in a call date? You can then set ACT to automatically roll over any un-actioned calls to today every time you open ACT. It also keeps a history of your calls you make against the contact.

25 years ago I took over a sales team at short notice and had to produce a board report. Got bits of random paper when I asked the team for their sales forecasts. Was introduced to ACT and, like you, never looked back. Went on to help with ACT development when Symantec owned it. Now support over 1000 ACT users in the UK.

I don't like the way Activity is laid out. (on my soapbox). Act has a huge market share so there's little incentive for it to stay current. Why spend development money that doesn't get you any new customers?

Coming back to Act I'm reminded how "CRAZY 1990s CLICKY" it is. One example Outlook keeps the address in a MODERN single block so I can cut and paste in an address with ONE click. Act keeps the address in SIX fields!!!!! click, click, click, click, click, click, Takes forever!!! UGH!

The activity pop-up is SUPER clicky and doesn't track the right stuff for me. I don't believe Activity can be changed... can it???

I need to track 6 things to make a call and I have them all laid out on the bottom of a custom contact view I created.
If you have a better idea I'm open to it.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re your item Copying contact details

Open ACT in Contact View on desired record

Use CTRL and C buttons and hold them for 2 seconds.

Now use CTRL V to paste contact details to Word etc.

Simplest way to Do a Before or on Today Lookup on Date field -

Open in Contact View Mode

Right click in desired date field and select Lookup

Change Operator to On or Before

Value = Today

Today should be an option in Value and normally is the default value for a date field. (Silly question but your new fields are date fields?)