Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is the advantage of linking contacts to companies?

Copper Super Contributor

What is the advantage of linking contacts to companies?

Hi,

I understand the advantage of adding contacts to companies as a means of ensuring a consolidated view of all contact points within a company.

However contacts dont have to be linked for this to happen.

It isn't clear to me what the purpose of linking a contact to a company is.  What is the advantage of doing this?  What is revealed in either contacts or companies when they are linked together?

Thanks.....Mike

Bronze Contributor

Re: What is the advantage of linking contacts to companies?

Hi Mike,

Certain fields are carried forward (liniked to the contact) such as address. I have added a number of fields in the company view that I want to be seen in the contact view. For example, whenI talk to a customer (contact) I like to know how many people work there. I have created and linked a field in company and contact to show this. Actually, I have done this for over a hundred fields. Hope that helps.
John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: What is the advantage of linking contacts to companies?

Mike,

I use both quite a lot.

I make all the staff at a company a member of that company,

but I will link their IT support person to that company, even tho he is a member of a seperate company.

This allows me to go to company ABC and see that contact1, contact2, contact3 are staff and that contact4 works elsewhere but is the IT guy.

Ben.