Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is best practice between a laptop and a desktop: sharing a database or synching?

Astute Commentator

What is best practice between a laptop and a desktop: sharing a database or synching?

I often have two people working on the same database, one on my desktop and one on my laptop. I am frustrated by the restriction that only the remote database can initiate a synch, requiring me to run downstairs to synch the two databases.

I keep the main or master database on my laptop, so I can more easily protect my database from power outage problems. (It's just easier to unplug my laptop when electrical storms are coming.) 

Of course, I still schedule appointments when I am away, and would need to update the database with appointments taken either on the remote database on my desktop, or on the main database on my laptop.

Any comments or suggestions?

Pat Lekawa

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: What is best practice between a laptop and a desktop: sharing a database or synching?

If you chose to share the database with your laptop as the host, then there would not be a need to have run downstairs and sync.  And since it seems that you do most of your work on your laptop, then a shared database would seem to be the best option for you.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.