Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What happened?

What happened?

Hi,

Not been using ACT long but I got an IT person save a copy of the current database we use - which he did.

What I wanted to happen was from the 3900 or so records we would split them so one database had just the current contacts that we work with on a daily basis whilst the other had the full contact list that we could use  as an 'adress book' for future use.

However when I then deleted a raft of contacts from the 'current' databaseI found that the same contacts had been deleted from the copy.

So what went wrong?

Many thanks

ROB

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: What happened?

That really is the question I am asking!

Can anyone think how he managed to create a 'copy' that is sync'ed - or maybe he didn't actually make a copy but just created a 'shortcut' in another folder that opens the same database.

Or he tried to copy the files (which won't usually work, anyway) and the PAD file still points at the original database

I presume you mean just copied the folders and files using windows? That sounds like something a person with little knowledge of ACT would do (He's avoiding answering my calls at the mo so can't confirm.)

If it were the case would it be possible to create a PAD file that would point to the database he copied?

Delete the PAD file. Then, from ACT!, File | Open | change File Type to ADF and select the database. It will rebuild the PAD.

But, it's possible that the database may be damaged if that was done

OK,

Many thanks for your replies.

I'll let you know the outcome when I find out what he actually did first - if you're interested.

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Robinmk,

We will definitely be interested!  By finding out what has been done we can then recommend other options and ways to copy your database.

Greg Martin
Sage