Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What files needed for restoring ACT! ?

Copper Contributor

What files needed for restoring ACT! ?

I understand that I need more than a simple backup file to restore ACT! in the event I need to restore everything.

Exactly what files need to be backed up to be certain I will be able to restore ACT! ?

I have ACT! 2010 and use Carbonite for my online backup system.

Thank you!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: What files needed for restoring ACT! ?

If you create the backup with the ACT! backup it will have the complete database. If you depend on Carbonite you likely don't have a backup of the key database files because they are held open by the SQL server all the time. Use the ACT! scheduler to create the database backup on your local drive and let Carbonite back that up.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thank you Roy,

Now to be exquisitely clear:

If I save my back up to my hard drive (which is what I have always done) then Carbonite CAN back that up that file as is?

I do not need any other files to restore my ACT! program and database if, say, my house burned down and the only files I could access for my database was the backup on Carbonite?

In other words all  in the event of a house fire or computer theft all I would need to do to get my ACT! program restored would be to buy another ACT! installation and then download my Backup file from Carbonite?

The devil is in the details and I just want to be absolutely sure this is correct because if not, I need to know EXACTLY what else I need to be backing up to not lose some 20 years of business vital information in the event of a disaster.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes the ACT! backup file is all you need.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thank you so much, Roy! And I have set up the ACT! Scheduler as you suggested as well.