Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What does this error mean?

Astute Commentator

What does this error mean?

[ Edited ]

I get this everytime I log on:

Could not load file or assembly ‘Act.Framework.Componen, Version=13.0.401.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Windows XP

ACT! 2011

Office 2010

Outlook 2007

Astute Commentator

Re: What does this error mean?

I was able to contact a live chat agent and he had me update to Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0. But I am still receiving the same error after the update. Any ideas?

Copper Super Contributor

Hi Jeffrey,

It means that there is a dll file missing or not registered in ACT!. Try this KB article:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2369...

Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

I appreciate the response but, it says to:

"Sort the items in this folder by name and locate office.
Note: Make sure that the version matches the version that is referenced in the error message."

There is 3 instances of office in the folder and none of them match the version of the error message.

Also, I am not getting the error when trying to write or open a letter in Word. I am getting the error everytime I open Act!

It doesn't seem to be causing any problems within the program itself but it is very annoying.

I do not get any errors or problems from any of the other $200.00 software that I have installed on my computer. If Act! is wanting us to beta test their software than they should offer it to us at a reduced price.

Nickel Contributor

My experience has been that you need to uninstall and reinstall ACT! to solve this kind of issues.

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
Fill in PDF Forms without retyping data using Act! to PDF Forms
Astute Commentator

Well here is where we are at, service tech calls this morning, requsts a screen share. After a few minutes of tinkering around he tells me ACT! is not the problem, it is microsoft net framework. he says he can fix it, I say go ahead. To make a long post short, after an hour and a half of uninstalling and removing stuff he is unable to install the correct version of net framework and wants to uninstall my antivirus, I say no because it's a work computer and I am not able to re install it as my corporate office is hundreds of miles away, so he tries again and this time it works. He messes around a bit more and starts Act! up. The error is gone, but wait, now there is a new error "The workflow failed validation". He says that at least the one I had complained about is gone. So, heres the kicker, he says I need to leave Windows automatic update off because those updates are unnecessary and that way it won't update net framework and cause the initial error in Act! By this time I am very frustrated and in need of getting back to work. So we gracefully parted ways. Now when I start Act! up I get the before mentioned workflow error and when I shut Act! down it brings up a dialog box and sends a report to microsoft.

Later in the day I turned automatic updates back on, disabled antivirus, made sure all Act! instances were closed and let it go ahead and update. Net framework is now back to the correct version, the initial assembly error in Act! did not return but I still have the workflow error. So far i am unhappy with the product and even more un happy with the customer service.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Looks like Sage support made a genuine effort to overcome the problem and spent a significant time in trying to do so.

As providers of support for ACT! I have some sympathy with the support personnel.

ACT! as an  MS SQL product is a complex install and it touches on many other components in the process  of an installation and has to work across a wide variety of operating systems and versions. As a.Net product it requires the .Net  framework to work correctly and be resilient to Windows updates, Antivirus products compromising access to other applications and the ever changing security model of Outlook that it is required to integrate with.

So while understanding that you have been left with a different problem than originally presented, please resist nailing Sage support. My belief is that ACT! shouldn't be sold as an 'easy install' product and for years I have lobbied Sage that they need to stop making trial downloads of the product so readily available. They don't know how many customers they lose through bad experiences that ACT! trialists endure. An ACT! install might be a breeze, everything working fine, however the problem is that when it does go wrong  it can go wrong in a spectacular and very troublesome way.  No one organisation is particularly at fault it is the shear complexity of the desktop environment now.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

Maybe Act! sould only sell their software to IT Tech's. I am a project manager for a construction company. If one of my customers had peeling on a newly painted wall I would take care of it. I would not make a genuine effort, I would not attempt to remedy the situation by repainting the wall while the customer stood there and held the paint can, I would not repair the peeling paint on one wall and tell them to just hang a picture over it on the other wall. I would do everthing I could until that customer is happy and if that wasn't good enough then I would either not charge them for the work or give them a discount for the portion in question.

Act! says "Easier than the rest" in bold letters right on the box. I doesn't say not compatible with the latest updated version of Windows so you will need to turn automatic updates off. It doesn't say sometimes it will work with Outllok and other times maybe not.

So I am sorry that you think I am picking on the support staff but I spent hard earned money on a product that was advertised to simplify the way I do business and so far I am not impressed.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Unfortunately the person offering the support isn't the same person who sanctions the marketing slogans, if that were the case you would probably see it tempered with the reality of their experience. Ultimately you could return the product within the the warrantee period.   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

JM
Nickel Contributor

I agree after years of using ACT! I would recommend it only if they hire a consultant to set it up and support it.  Their hourly fee and cost for ACT licenses will still be less than other solutions.  Sage needs to educate more strongly the facts there are many developers with Add-ons and consultants and not how easy or out of the box it is.  There are far too many variables now days to compound the problems like .NET, OS versions, Sync between Outlook and PDA's, remote sites, ect..

I agree I have had good results from the support staff doing their best fixing problems that if setup correctly by experienced ACC they could resolve faster and less trouble. But Marketing always takes precedence over what the front lines would like.

JM