Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What I Thought Was A Small Change "Made" A Maybe Big Change. Help.

What I Thought Was A Small Change "Made" A Maybe Big Change. Help.

Dear ACT! Product User:

I  use the ACT! by Sage Premium for Real Estate 2006 product. I wanted to rename my database and so today renamed the associated PAD file and thought I likewise renamed the database file. The original database filename still exists and is now associated with a database file that is indicated as created today. A database file with the "rename" exists now, too, and is associated with the creation date of the original database. I do not understand how to access this "renamed" database. In addition, the "database created today" offers me a different layout for my records and some fields are "missing." These fields are not addable via the Layout Designer.

Do you know how I may access the renamed database? If I am in a position to, is it risky to then delete the "database created today?"

With Regards,

Deepa

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: What I Thought Was A Small Change "Made" A Maybe Big Change. Help.

You can't just rename the database in that way without causing issues.

Back everything up, if you can

Remove the renamed database

Then rename it (if you want) as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

Mike,

Thank you for responding. I am planning to follow your advice tomorrow. I intend to notify you of the result once I do.

With Regards,

Deepa

Hello Mike. 

I was in a position to back up my original-named database (the usable one) today. Per your advice, I deleted the renamed database.

I still have the original-named database with its original name, as I didn't want to rename it because the version is not actually what I want. This version does not present all fields that I typically use. Is there a way of which you know for me to revert to or create the version I had before I incorrectly renamed the database file and PAD file? If no, are there options of which you know for me to access this previous version?

Your response can help me learn what I need to do to use the version most suited for my needs.

With Regards,

Deepa Chawla

Hello Mike. 

I was in a position to back up my original-named database (the usable one) today. Per your advice, I deleted the renamed database.

I still have the original-named database with its original name, as I didn't want to rename it because the version is not actually what I want. This version does not present all fields that I typically use. Is there a way of which you know for me to revert to or create the version I had before I incorrectly renamed the database file and PAD file? If no, are there options of which you know for me to access this previous version?

Your response can help me learn what I need to do to use the version most suited for my needs.

With Regards,

Deepa Chawla

Copper Super Contributor

What you need to do I think is either change the layout for the contact screen to show the fields you want - OR select the layout you designed before as your default one.

If in fact you saved a layout - look to the upper right hand corner of the ACT menu to see a dropdown.  If you hover over it, it will say "select layout".  Perhaps you saved it there at one time - then when you changed the database name these settings were lost?

Otherwise, I think you need to edit your layout to add the fields you are missing.

Deepa,

You might find it worth while getting one of the ACT! Consultants to check your setup and backup procedures... they can also offer advice tailored for you on how to get the most from the product

Thank you for your input. I am planning to check the dropdown menu you specified. I tried to edit the layout via the Layout Designer earlier, but the fields I need and want are not addable.

~ Deepa

If they are not addable, then either they aren't in the database or they have already been added to another tab on the layout

Thank you for your advice. I am planning to consider it.

~ Deepa