Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Weird database situation

Weird database situation

Alright, let's see if I can explain what's going on.

I just started working for this company and I'm new to the software. We've been having trouble getting the program to register a new login even though the company has puchased the correct number of licenses. 

Here's what I can tell. The owner of the company puchased a single user license. The manager puchased an additional 3 user licenses for a total of 4, however, the software is saying we only have 3 licenses. From what I can tell, the owner is using one of the three that was puchased by the manager and not his own. His personal computer, however, shows his puchased serial number. I'm thinking that he's just been using the managers database so it hasn't been synced to his own database. It looks like that single user license is not being used at all.

So how would I get that 4th license working on a new computer? The office is only using the one database and everyone needs to have access to it.  And yes, we have 4 different computers that each have their own unique serial installed. We are using ACT 2010 Version 12.1.181.0 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Weird database situation

I'm presuming there is one common (multi-accessed) database for all users.

Do you see both license keys in the registry? Accessed through the menu Help | Register ACT! 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Well each of the 4 computers are registered with its own license key, so generally, no, there is only one license per computer. We did try troubleshooting with someone on the main computer and successfully added a second key to it but it didn't registered as having another license in the manage users area. It still only showed that we have 3 logins allowed. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

How many licence showing in Manage Users in the ACT! demo database on the server? 

Graeme Leo

Hmm, I'll have to look that up when I'm at work tomorrow. I haven't started poking around the server yet. To be continued!!!!
Silver Contributor

All that is really important is that all 4 licenses (enough for each active user) are registered on the server.  Not having a specific license associated with a particular person's computer is not a problem.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Bronze Elite Contributor

I read it as the Manage Users GUI in the production database is not showing that all (3 +1 ) license are available. Seems odd hence worth taking a look at demo database.   

Graeme Leo

So poking around, the best I can tell is that the reason it's only showing 3 users is because there isn't a database synced with the 4th single user license. It seems that even if I add all the licenses to the registration thingie, it still says "only 3 active users in this database".

My thought process is that for whatever reason, a new database has to be created and synced with the existing one to allow that 4th single user to access the existing database.
Bronze Elite Contributor

What matters is in the Manage Users screen, on the left "There are enough licencses for X active users in this database". What is X?  

Graeme Leo

X=3