Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Webinfo Location of Web Address

Nickel Contributor

Webinfo Location of Web Address

Where is the location of where the Internet address is?  In other words, since we lack an internet address bar, the only way to find the actual address is by copying the address using the button.

Is there an XML file somewhere where it is recording exactly what web page we are on?

If not, it's is kind of dumb that it's set up that way.  There are programs out there that can convert the internet page to html code and paste the info into the necessary ACT! fields, but without knowing where we are navigating, nothing can trigger the macro to run unless it's manually done by using the copy button which if this is the way it's set up, then this has got to be one of the..  I'll stop before i get in trouble.

Re: Webinfo Location of Web Address

Functions like any other browser except it doesn't have an address bar.
Nickel Contributor

Re: Webinfo Location of Web Address

Where is the full internet address deposited? I mean the full address that has the ACT! fields substituted in address. Is it in a text file somewhere?  Is it in an XML file somewhere? 

A macro can pick up the Internet address on Windows internet Explorer because it can detect the address in the address bar. Since there is no address bar, it cannot automatically do that unless it right clicks, checks the source code, and then has to parse through the html code.  This is not an elegant way of doing this.

Where is the address?  I don't want to click the "Copy Link" to the clipboard.  This is not a way to automate ACT!.

For example, let's suppose in the Company Webinfo tab, ACT! detects that when I do a google search on a company, for example, Applebees on Elm Street in Pittsburgh PA, the small google map pops up and the address, the phone and an e-mail address comes up.  Well,  knowing that the Google internet address string are substituted in ACT! by the ACT! fields, the macro can always run/detect a certain part of the html source code, copy what's needed and then automatically paste the fields in the company layout that is missing the information.

ACT! seems to be determined to stifle any imagination that simple programmers like me can work on. 

Where is the full address located?  That's all I need to know. The macro needs to detect the structure of the internet address to be able to know how to parse the information.

Pat