Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Warranty & Contract

Warranty & Contract

Anyone found a solution for Act! 2009 to keep track of client contract, warranty, software license expiration?  I want to be able to enter license information for end user company records and run a report monthly to get a list of licenses expiring within xyz period so we can contact them and invoice/quote the renewal.

I looked at Table IT and I had some problems with it and I didn't like it so much.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Warranty & Contract

What problems did you have with itTables?

I haven't seen many other options to a custom table other than going big time with something like Telesupport Helpdesk

Some of the windows do not display properly, they show up blank and you have to guess what the buttons stand for.  Once I got it activated, it seemed to run a little better, but I do not like how the data shows up in the tabs.  I quickly made a Contracts table and some fields, and it looks like a hacky excel clone rather than a clean tab with a layout like the other tabs.

I'll take a look at Telesupport Helpdesk,  I remember you mentioned to look at that.  I'm not quite sure Act is for me though, still don't like the overall feel of it, and things like this are still not easy to fit in.

I don't see Telesupport HelpDesk working for us, we have a much better help desk solution, and I'm not spending $2,000 just to add contract information.

Yes, I agree it would be overkill for your needs... there really isn't anything I've seen in between the two

Re itTables, I've just spoken with the developer, and they said:

Our programmers are orking on itTables for web and for windows this and the next week, so any hard acts, and detailed requests that are possible to do, will be done.

Pls send us real points, with what you need to archive, and we will try to address this

Let me know what you'd like to see. Private Message or here

I'm pretty sure we will be ditching Act!, I gave it an honest run through for this version but it still isn't mature enough for our needs.

It's mature enough as in it is the 11th generation, but it still very counter intuitative and a real pain to navigate.

It's been around for 21 years... so, it's an adult now :-)

ACT! is regarded as the easiest product of it's type to use... more than any feature set, that's why it's still selling more than any other.

Maybe, you might find getting an initial boost from a Certified Consultant (www.act.com/acc) might be the way to go?

Would still be interested in any suggestions you have for itTables, anyway

No question it is mature timewise, but it still functions like it did back in version 6.0.

There has been absolutely no progress in terms of user work flow.

What takes me 2-3 clicks in SalesForce, takes me 10-15 in Act. 

It isn't a question of training, it is a question of just not liking it, it has a very poor user interface.  Company (as I see it Account) functionality was slapped on in verison 7 and they obviously still haven't spent anytime working it in.  Act! is very contact focused, where my business as well as most businesses are account/company focused.  Sure you work with contacts all day, but the master parent company/account record is used a lot.  Act! makes it very difficult to do.  Searching is very time consuming as it takes a ton of clicks to find something.  5-10 extra clicks doesn't sound like much, but it gets old very fast.

For Table IT, it doesn't work very well in Vista 64, and the output looks very clunky.  When making a tab it feels very home brewed, and does not fit into the act UI very well at all.  Most of that is look and feel impression, but some of it is functionality too, for example it doesn't save cell sizing well at all. 

Did you try ACT! 2009? The searching has been made a lot easier there. If you can give an example of the multi-click work, maybe I can suggest a different way

The Account Vs Contact centric approach is one that can be a "religious" argument... most ACT! users drive their business by building relationships with individual contacts, but then might also want to see the combined data for an account ... this is as opposed to the accounting view of looking at the account first and the contacts within it secondary.

Re itTables, I'm not sure if it was tested in 64bit (I can find out). I know that now it's working technically, they are  looking at UI improvements.