Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Want to use an Act 10.0.1.199 database in 2010 Version 12.0.409.0

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Want to use an Act 10.0.1.199 database in 2010 Version 12.0.409.0

Copper Super Contributor

We are now trying a slightly different route.

We have act! 12 installed on two computers which are networked. We want them both to share a database that is on one of the two computers.

At the moment, the computer on which the database is, can view and interact with the database, but the other cannot.

We have, as instructed taken a copy of the database .pad file and put it on the other machine and then openned act and tried to open the local .pad file. It fails, it cannot get the database from the other machine.

There may be some issues with how the computers are networked. I have shared the directory in which the database is present but the other machine could not see this unless it was manually logged in.

We will try something else tommorrow.

tbf I wish I had used my own build access contact manager database, it works, networks and is fully configurable. !! so there !! 

Might help if you added any error you get?

At a guess it's security permissions. Try the suggestions in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

If that's not the error, then please post the issue when trying to connect from the other PC

Copper Super Contributor

Hi there,

Thanks for the link to the article.

I have been through that with some colleagues. We seem to be set up as we should be, firewalls have act! holes in them, anti virus's are off, sql is running as it should be, and we have replaced names with fixed IP addresses in the distributed .pad files.  

But somehow the client installation of ACT! still cannot connect with the machine serving the database and open the database.

Copper Super Contributor

It seems at the base of our problems getting one server computer to be talked to by a client computer, both running ACT! is a firewall issue on the server computer. When we disable the firewall on that computer the client computer can connect and open the database. We had permitted ACT! to have a hole in the firewall but that seems not to be sufficient. Hopefully we will resolve this today.

The other issue which we will resolve is log ins and where the licenses have to be established. We have managed to make the original user of the database which we are starting with inactive and have replaced him with me, but we have not yet managed to establish the second user as a user recognised by ACT!. I expect this will be resolved today.

Mark,

Make sure you have added SQL program and port exceptions to the server firewall as well as ACT! program exceptions. The following Knowledgebase article provides information regarding firewall exceptions:

Using your Anti-Virus/Firewall Software with ACT! by Sage 

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks Greig,

That was interesting. We also put in a call to Sage UK Technical help who were good and we managed to get our network working for ACT!.

We now have two computers and one database shared between them, two seperate users, and we are both able to open ACT! ok.