Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Want to delete contacts outwith a certain group...

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Want to delete contacts outwith a certain group...

Basically I'm trying to get rid of a lot of excess contacts from a database. The ones I want to keep I've popped into a group but wondered if there was a way to delete all contacts not in my group? There has to be a way of doing it but I don't want to fiddle about and accidently delete contacts that I want to keep.

Similarly I'm having problems merging groups - when I move them they always seem to become subgroups of the group I want them in. I KNOW this is going to be such an easy thing to do but just cannot find out how. I have only been using ACT for a week so apologies if this is a really simple question. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ewatson
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Want to delete contacts outwith a certain group...

Hello EWatson, welcome to the Community.

There can be several answers to your question depending on how your data is structuted... I'll assume that the contacts you want to keep are connected to a specific Group and all other contacts are to be deleted.  Your situation may not fit these steps exactly, they are more an idea of 'what' can be done to help identify contacts and remove them in mass.

Note: Before making mass changes or deleting contacts, it is good practice to make a backup of your database (File > Backup > Database). 

Question 1: Identifying/deleting contacts not associated with a particular Group: 

- identify a previously unused field.  for example: 'User 10'

- on Group screen > right click on the desired Group name and select Create Lookup

This will take you to the Contact List screen and will only display the contacts that are associated with the Group

- go to Edit menu > select Replace Field 

- choose your identified field (User 10) and enter a value you choose (example - 'Keep')

When you apply this command it will update all contacts in the 'Current Lookup' which is only the members of your Group.

Note: If you have multiple Groups, you will need to repeat the steps above for each one before moving to the next set of steps.

- Then go to 'Lookup' menu > select Other Fields

- enter your identified field and select criteria of 'Does Not Contain Data'

The results of this Lookup will not contain the members of your Group. 

- highlight multiple contacts (hold down Shift key) > right click on highlighted area > select Delete Contact  

Question 2: Merging Groups:

- when drag/dropping Groups they will become subgroups, they will not 'merge' into a single Group.

If you want to connect the members of one Group to another:

- right click on the Source Group > select Create Lookup - it will take you to the Contact List

- highlight all Contacts in list > right click in highlighted area and select Attach to Group > select Target Group 

Your contacts will now be attached to both Groups.  At this point you can leave them connected to both, remove them from the Source, or delete the Source Group.  

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author ewatson
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello EWatson, welcome to the Community.

There can be several answers to your question depending on how your data is structuted... I'll assume that the contacts you want to keep are connected to a specific Group and all other contacts are to be deleted.  Your situation may not fit these steps exactly, they are more an idea of 'what' can be done to help identify contacts and remove them in mass.

Note: Before making mass changes or deleting contacts, it is good practice to make a backup of your database (File > Backup > Database). 

Question 1: Identifying/deleting contacts not associated with a particular Group: 

- identify a previously unused field.  for example: 'User 10'

- on Group screen > right click on the desired Group name and select Create Lookup

This will take you to the Contact List screen and will only display the contacts that are associated with the Group

- go to Edit menu > select Replace Field 

- choose your identified field (User 10) and enter a value you choose (example - 'Keep')

When you apply this command it will update all contacts in the 'Current Lookup' which is only the members of your Group.

Note: If you have multiple Groups, you will need to repeat the steps above for each one before moving to the next set of steps.

- Then go to 'Lookup' menu > select Other Fields

- enter your identified field and select criteria of 'Does Not Contain Data'

The results of this Lookup will not contain the members of your Group. 

- highlight multiple contacts (hold down Shift key) > right click on highlighted area > select Delete Contact  

Question 2: Merging Groups:

- when drag/dropping Groups they will become subgroups, they will not 'merge' into a single Group.

If you want to connect the members of one Group to another:

- right click on the Source Group > select Create Lookup - it will take you to the Contact List

- highlight all Contacts in list > right click in highlighted area and select Attach to Group > select Target Group 

Your contacts will now be attached to both Groups.  At this point you can leave them connected to both, remove them from the Source, or delete the Source Group.  

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you so much Greg.