Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Voiding fields Act 2010

Copper Contributor

Voiding fields Act 2010

Is there a way to delete MANY fields?

We have inherited a database with probably 300 fields that are all redundant, to go in and delete one at a time will be a huge time commitment (saving layouts etc). The fields, even if they contain data, are not needed.

I was hoping there would be a field export, or something along those lines would allow me to modify, then import....but I don't see anything.

Thanks 

Bob

Bronze Contributor

Re: Voiding fields Act 2010

First, I don't believe there is an easy way to export or delete a bulk number of fields.  There may be an add-on or one of the consultants who frequent this forum may be able to help you modify your existing db.

I'm thinking, though, that you can create a new db with the desired fields beyond the default.  Then export and map the fields from the old db to the new db.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Bronze Contributor

To my knowledge John you are correct I am not aware of a utility to do this en masse. The only other problem with creating a new and then export/import is I have seen a number of other issues with this method depending on the version.

Given that you do not want to use the fields it will be determining if you create a new database whihc ones you need to add and then map them on the import process.

I still thnk generally it is easier to delete the fields or in the short term simply put a z in front and remove from the layout

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Not the answer I wanted - but thanks to both of you - at least I move forwards knowing there isn't a better way.