Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Voice activation software

Tuned Listener

Voice activation software

I just purchase Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking v10.  It is the Preferred version which is apprently just one level below the Enterprise version.  I previously called ACT! support to see if it was supported under ACT! v11 and they said no.  I purchased the Dragion Naturally Speaking software anyway because I wanted to use it with other programs.  Well, once it was installed, I decided to try it out with ACT! 2009 v11 and so far so good although I have only been using it for 2 days.

Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking v10 Preferred version normally sells for $200 but they are currently selling it for $100 "for a limited time" according to their sales rep.

It used to be cumbersome to re-type my hand written notes into a history record after meeting with a customer for any length of time because we would normally cover so many different topics or have so much to discuss about a specific topic.  Often times I would just put "see notes" in the record history which let me know that I would have to pull my notebook to look at the actual notes.  I use hard bound notebooks and catlog them so it is easy to keep track of them.  However, it takes time to pull the correct notebook and dig through the pages to find the specific meeting notes.  Now I can just re-read my handwritten notes into a microphone and they are placed in the record history much faster than typing, and I have much faster access to these notes since they are all contained within ACT!  This is also a plus because I synchronize my ACT! database to my Blackberry device. Now I can actually have all of my notes from customer meetings on my handheld device which is great when I am away from my computer.

By the way, I am using Dragon NaturallySpeaking right now.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Voice activation software

When Sage say "not supported", it just means they haven't tested it.

What do you use to sync it to your Blackberry? Have you tried Handheld Contact? Puts much more of your ACT! interface on the device

Tuned Listener

I understand what you are saying about support.  However, "unsupported" usually means that if you experience any problems with the "unsupported" item, the manufacture usually will not offer any help.  I wanted the software for other programs so it is nice that it works within ACT! as well.

I use CompanionLink to sync my BlackBerry device with ACT!.  No complaints so far with the snyc'ing but sometimes I do wish that I had more of my custom data on my BlackBerry.  Not very often, but sometimes.  The CompanionLink/BlackBerry combination seems to work much better than my old combination of a Treo 700w and the ACT! synchronization software.  That combination frustrated me on a regular basis trying to sync them.  My sync list grows and is up to about 2,800 contacts plus my calendar.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes, "unsupported" does mean they usually can't help with issues. Like I said, this is because they haven't tested it and often don't even have the software to test with :-)

It's nice that Dragon works... I used to use it when IBM were promoting it many years ago. It didn't support a huge vocab, but was great for live presentations of ACT! without needing to touch keyboard or mouse :-)

Just for interest, I put some of the reasons I prefer Handheld Contact in this post:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2008/10/why-handheld-contact-for-pdas.html