Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Vista and Act 2008 Link for Pocket PC

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Vista and Act 2008 Link for Pocket PC

When I try to load the software the install program stops saying that active synch must be installed. However the installation guide states that either active synch or Windows Mobile Device Center is required. Any suggestions, solution or work around?
Bob

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bob637
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Vista and Act 2008 Link for Pocket PC

The link is now accessable. However the following situation resulted. After a successful installation of Act 2008 Link for Pocket PC and having my PDA synched I noticed that IE started behaving strangely ... locking up for some unknown reason. Then the next day the ACT data on the PDA synched and then all of the ACT data disappeared from the PDA contacts, tasks, etc. There was no way to re-synch and reload all of my contacts.
I removed the ACT 2008 Link for the Pocket PC and the patch that I had downloaded. Did a system restore and everything is now back to normal (only outlook link on the pocket PC.

Bob Wagner 

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hi Bob I had the same issue with Vista and Pocket PC.  In the end I had to delete Windows Mobile Device Centre and reinstall it.  This advice came from the Act support team.  My big problem was finding a download of Windows Mobile Device Centre as it is part of the Vista operating system.  I did find it eventually on the Microsoft Downloads site.  You might want to locate this before you uninstall it.  Once reinstalled I had to establish a new partnership with my pocket PC.
Copper Contributor

Thanks ... I will try reinstalling the Windows Mobile Device Center and see if that resolves the problem

I had the exact same problem with my Pocket PC device (Treo 750).

I've tried both installing MS Sync Center from the original CD that came with my device and then installing the ACT! Link for PPC, and that didn't work.

Seeing this, I tried downloading the latest MS Sync Center, installing it, and then tried the ACT! Link. Still no luck. I tried this method about 10 times before giving up.

I'm a very knowledgable person when it comes to software. I'm a software developer.

Seeing this didn't work, I've been looking at other solutions -- Including just going with MS Outlook, Business Contact Manager, and using PocketMirror to synchronize multiple folders. If I can't resolve my ACT! problem, I may go this route... And I refuse to pay for support for this problem as it had the symptoms of being a bug in ACT! and there is _no way_ to contact ACT! support about this.

-Gregg
Copper Contributor

Since I am running Vista I have to use Windows Mobile Device Center intead of active synch. I had a similar problem with version 7 it never would synch and infact wipped out the mobile outlook. Had to reinstall all of the pocket pc software to restore outlook and just used the outlook synch thereafter.
Bob

I too have been having exactly the same problem with installing the Pocket PC Link for my HTC TyTN II. After talking to the Sage support desk in the UK, I have installed and uninstalled Mobile Device Centre (6.1), ACT! 2008 so many time that my head is spinning, all with different combinations of 'Run as Administrator', with UAC turned off, and logged in under a variety of user accounts. All of this time wasted (about 5 hours so far) to no avail. Supposedly the 10.01 patch for ACT! 2008 fixed this problem - but that didn't work either

I suspect that the reason is that the TyTN II runs Windows Mobile 6, and that the Pocket PC Link for ACT! will only work with WM5 on Vista, but I don't have a WM5 PDA to test this out with. Typical Sage, release a product that is only compatible with devices that are a year old rather than the current products !!!

Unless there is some bright spark out there who has managed to get this working, I suspect it is now a waiting game for the next patch which might address this issue (a very big if). In the mean time I will have to revert to my creaking old laptop running XP which does sync, leaving GBP 1,200 worth of laptop in the corner to depreciate without being able to used because the ACT! development team have little concept of testing their software properly with real world products (why bother when the end user can do the testing for them and have the privilege of paying them to do so). 

Ho hum...

Damian
Platinum Elite Contributor

Damian,

It's not a question of not supporting current products, it's just that when Microsoft releases a new operating system version is usually takes 6-9 months (at least) before the software developers can work out the changes and get their programs properly working again.

I just helped a user with 50 HTC TyTN II devices... they ended up going with Handheld Contact and no more problems.
Nickel Super Contributor

For anyone receiving an error message referencing ActiveSync when attempting to install ACT Link for PPC on Vista, check out the following kb:

Error: "You Must Install ActiveSync Before Installing ACT Link for Pocket PC" When Installing on WIndows Vista™
http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=21498

There is a small registry file at the bottom of the kb that corrects the issue with the install.
Copper Contributor

When you follow that link you receive a message:
Log On Required!

You are attempting to access an area that requires logging on.
Please log on via one of the links provided on the left-hand side.

Thank you.
The only ACT link at the side of the page is for certified consultants
Bob
Nickel Super Contributor

Bob,

I'm having this looked at. It should hopefully be available shortly.

Sorry about that.

Amanda