Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Vista and Act 2008 Link for Pocket PC

Re: Vista and Act 2008 Link for Pocket PC

I'll throw in my quick two cents... In response to a "patch" not being available for a product that's been out for umpteen months.

This is why companies develop a "partnership" with such companies... So they get to develop "along-side" them to ensure their product is supported when it is release. Microsoft has offerings especially like MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) that will aid developers to gain this knowledge. I'm a member myself. Vista has been on it for quite a while; And MS Sync Center. So I don't believe that nonsense. I think it's just the fact that a company has been overburdened and put behind schedule.

-Gregg
Platinum Elite Contributor

I think the fact that very few business users (ACT!'s customer base) have upgraded to Vista till recently might explain that it took longer for anyone for the bug to be identified, tested and the fix determined.

I've found the US support guys react really quickly to produce a fix when a bug is properly identified if it's severe enough... mind you, the international offices can take years to look at something.

AJones -- Wow. Thanks for posting that. I just realized your post after I wrote my last reply. I'll check into it and hopefully it'll resolve this problem. It seems to be a hot topic.
----------

Sage --

I'm very happy that you decided to allow public user forums for those using your software! As a long time user of ACT! (since ACT! 98), and seeing other software vendors being able to get a lot of feedback from users in forums, I've wondered why something wasn't available.
----------

-Gregg

I know this isn't going to help much, but I am running Vista, Act 2008 and I have an HTC S730 (Smartphone not Pocket PC) with Windows Mobile 6 and I have installed Act Link for Pocket PC and I have synced with the phone about 2500 contacts with notes, calender etc.  It has crashed the phone a couple of times (a memory problem I think).
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author bob637
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

The link is now accessable. However the following situation resulted. After a successful installation of Act 2008 Link for Pocket PC and having my PDA synched I noticed that IE started behaving strangely ... locking up for some unknown reason. Then the next day the ACT data on the PDA synched and then all of the ACT data disappeared from the PDA contacts, tasks, etc. There was no way to re-synch and reload all of my contacts.
I removed the ACT 2008 Link for the Pocket PC and the patch that I had downloaded. Did a system restore and everything is now back to normal (only outlook link on the pocket PC.

Bob Wagner 
Champion Listener

ggraubins -- Thanks for your feedback.
Nickel Super Contributor

I wanted to go ahead and post the contents of the kb in this post for anyone still having issues installing. I've also included the attachment you will need to run when following these instructions.

Error: "You Must Install ActiveSync Before Installing ACT Link for Pocket PC" When Installing on Windows Vista™

Question: You get the following error message when installing ACT! Link for Pocket PC 2008 (10.0) on Microsoft® Windows Vista™, "You must install ActiveSync before installing ACT! Link for Pocket PC".

Answer: Please use the following steps to apply the registry fix to resolve this issue.

Caution: We strongly recommend that you back up the system registry before making any changes. Incorrect changes to the registry could result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Please make sure you modify only the keys specified.

Title: How to Back Up the Windows Registry
Answer ID: 13807

1. Once your registry is backed up, right click and save the PPC Vista.zip file attached to this post.
2. Once the file is saved, unzip the file to your desktop.
3. Locate and double-click the PPC Vista.reg file from your desktop. The Registry Editor dialog box will appear.
4. Click Yes to continue with the registry fix.
5. Once the fix is complete, click OK to complete the registry fix.

Now attempt to install ACT Link for Pocket PC
Copper Contributor

I followed those proceedures exactly and the end result was a lock up and data loss. If you do decide to try the install:
  1. Back up the PDA
  2. Back up the registry
  3. Make certain that there is a restore point prior to the install.
  4. Take notice of anything new that occurs to other applications after the install

Bob

Mod Jones, Those steps simply move the error message from the start into the body of the installation. Any other ideas?

Damian, Evangelist or not, Act has had a year since Vista was released, and should have been working with Microsoft well before then to get sorted out. And now we are to pay another $250 to get our $300 Act software working properly?