Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Virus/adware in Act9AB32.dll, using ACT9 and Avast antivirus.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Virus/adware in Act9AB32.dll, using ACT9 and Avast antivirus.

When I open Act 9 my Avast AV is throwing an adware warning that Act9AB32.dll has the Malware Win32:Vapsup-HB (adware).

Is this important?

How would it get there? 

Or is there something normal in this dll that makes it look like adware?

Can I get rid of it, can I just replace the dll, or will I need to re-install Act?

I clicked 'Ignore the first times, everything ran ok.

I then tried 'Move to chest', but it stuffed the whole dll in the chest, not just the adware code, so I lost the Act buttons in Outlook.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Virus/adware in Act9AB32.dll, using ACT9 and Avast antivirus.

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Install ACT! 9.0 full install
Install ACT! 9.01 patch if the previous install was the previous build and Hotfix 3
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

No one should use Norton AV in a business environment... if you want a Symantec product, you should use Symantec AV - same engine without all the crappy consumer functions

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Actually the warning comes up when I open Outlook, but refers to the ACT dll. I have not been able restore the ACT button to the Outlook toolbar by any of the usual means (Help/disabled items or Tools/Options/Other/Advanced Options/Addin Manager)

Two choices:

1. You don't have an infection and Avast is incorrectly reporting a false positive

2. You have benn infected and you should uninstall/reinstall

I don't know which as I've not heard of Avast and no-one else has reported this.

Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks Mike.

I first thought false positive, but no confirmation on Googling that, so suspect infecton. Outlook has been a bit crashy recently, see my previous posts, so I'm thinking time to re-install both Outlook and Act. I have never installed ACT 9, consultant did it when I bought it, anything to watch for??? 

Avast by Alwil Software - See http://www.avast.com/index.html. It's been very good, I got onto it after doing a bit of research when I had trouble installing/running AVG on my laptop (XP SP2, Office XP Pro). I had to get rid of the Norton it was born with, it was ridiculously slow and resource hungry especially on start up.

Cheers,

Graham.

Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Install ACT! 9.0 full install
Install ACT! 9.01 patch if the previous install was the previous build and Hotfix 3
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

No one should use Norton AV in a business environment... if you want a Symantec product, you should use Symantec AV - same engine without all the crappy consumer functions