Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Very scary.

Copper Contributor

Very scary.

ACT! 2011 HF4

I trust ACT! with my data.

ACT! does some pretty scary things.

For instance, I just created a new contact record for "Joe," and I dragged a PDF file into the documents tab.  Not only did the PDF file appear in the doucments tab, but a second one did too.  I recognized the second document.  I should have exited ACT!, but I foolishly removed the second PDF file from "Joe's" document tab (which does not put the document in the Recycle Bin), leaving only the PDF that I wanted "Joe" to have, and checked "Jane's" document tab, where it should have been.  "Jane's" document tab showed only "Joe's" document.

I exited ACT! and re-entered.  "Joe" had no PDF's in his document tab and "Jane" was fine.

Very scary behaviour.  I've experienced other scary ACT! behavious, too.

Silver Contributor

Re: Very scary.

I guess I don't see what the scary behavior is.  When you delete the pdf from the document tab, you are given a message that says: "This will remove the selected document from the database supplemental file system. Do you wish to continue"  How is this scary?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Scary Item #1: A phantom PDF was placed in Joe's document tab when I dragged in another.

Scary Item #2: When I deleted the second PDF, it actually deleted the first.

Scary Item #3: After deleting the second PDF, ACT! showed me the first was still there, when it wasn't.

Scary Item #4: When I looked at Jane's document tab, it showed me what was in Joe's document tab.

Scary Item #5: ACT! didn't even really show me what was in Joe's tab when I looked at Jane, because Joe's tab was actually empty.

I could go on.

Silver Contributor

Is it repeatable?  Or was it a one time thing?  I"m not able to repeat with the steps you've given.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Thank you.  No and no.  It is not repeatable and it does re-occur.  There must be some kind of memory corruption in ACT! because the SQL Server database is not affected.  I often see act reporting inaccurate views of the database, e.g. when I view a new contact, and it shows the notes of the previous contact in the view pane in the lower right quadrant (but not the list of notes in the lower left).